1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Member from Missouri

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by garnan, Dec 4, 2009.

1. garnan

garnan New Egg

Dec 3, 2009
    Hi this is garnan.
    I'm Gary the 'gar' part, my wife is Nancy - the other half. This is the first time I have been on a forum of any kind. I hope this will help us as I am new to keeping chickens. Some friends of ours are moving to Northwest Arkansas and asked if we would like a few chickens to remember them by. So we couldn't hurt their feeling and said yes. That was the easy part. Now we have to prepare a place for them. We have a 16' by 20' barn in the back of our lot with a 17' by 20' space next to it that's not being used. The coup will be attached to the barn. I figure an 4" by 8" coup should be large enough for 6 chickens (We can only have 6 in town.) and the coup will be in the 17' by 20' yard. My concern is the gound. There was a lot of trash, broken glass, rotten wood, poison ivy and peeling paint. I have cleaned it up but I couldn't get everything. The barn has not been painted on that side for a least 15 years and the paint is in bad shape. I am going to put down a tarp ( to catch the paint chips )and scrape it good and repaint. If the old paint has lead in it how can it affect a chicken or their eggs? I also have alot of leaves I can spread over the ground. Will this help? - Thanks for any comments - Gary.

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Hi Gary and Nancy! Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Unfortunately chickens are very good at digging. They will make holes every where that they use for "dusting". It's the way they keep parasites in control. Lead paint would be a big no no since it can cause the same kinds of problems in chickens as it does in people except they are much smaller so a little lead paint can cause huge problems including death! Sorry to be a downer but a good scraping over a tarp followed up by a lead free primer and outdoor paint to cover any remaining paint would be a great idea.
    When my DH and I built our coop we had the same problem with a lot of junk in the dirt. We rented a small skip loader and scraped 6" of dirt and junk out of their area and replaced it with DG. It was a huge time/labor saver. Good luck with your new chickens and yes a 4'x8' coop is fine for 6 chickens (4 inches by 8 inches is however a little snug [​IMG] sorry I couldn't resist [​IMG]).
    Don't worry, you'll get a lot of help here at BYC! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  3. Farmer Benjii

Farmer Benjii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Vic, AUS
    Hiiiiiiiiiiiii And i'm FB! And can i introduce to youuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!.................................... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . anyways tooooo BYC! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

5. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG] From a fellow Missourian!

6. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Welcome to fellow Missourian. I must say welcome to Farmer Benji, too. FB, you are quite ..errrr..enthusiatic? [​IMG]

9. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC from The Pampered Pullets Farm in North Central Florida
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by