New member from Missouri

javaking

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 24, 2014
Hello, I am new to the website and am looking to start raising chickens again. I raised 15 chickens in Kansas about 12 years ago and am looking to buy a house in northern Kansas City Missouri and raise some chickens again.

I have many questions especially about poultry laws in various cities. I know in KCMO you can have up to 15 total chickens and they must be 100 feet from any dwelling. The ordinances in Liberty are ambiguous. All I can find is that you can't have any poultry unless it is "kept clean and sanitary at all times." What the heck does that mean? Quantity? Location? Neighbors permission?

https://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=11164&stateID=25&statename=Missouri

Sec. 4-10. Keeping poultry generally.
No person, except as may be permitted by city zoning regulations, shall be permitted to own or have in his possession any live poultry (chickens, ducks, geese, guineas, or turkeys) within the city, unless batteries, poultry equipment and poultry yards are kept clean and sanitary at all times.
(Ord. No. 3556, 7-28-75)

I am also looking at places in Gladstone and Parkville. Hopefully I can find a place in a city that is "poultry friendly."

Welcome to BYC - I hope you are able to find a chicken friendly community. You may want to visit "where am I, where are you," in the social forum to locate your state thread and post on it. Someone there may know what areas allow chickens. You can also go to the village or town hall in the area you want to move and ask about their poultry laws.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Drumstick Diva X2 I would do some chatting with your chicken neighbors in your state thread to see what the laws are in your area. Scroll thru this link to find your state thread....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Good luck and I hope you can get your chicken keeping lifestyle soon!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Drumstick diva and TwoCrows have given you some good advice and links. Good luck in finding a place that is "poultry friendly."

Back
Top Bottom