New member from NC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Oxysheagirl, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Oxysheagirl

Oxysheagirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Hello. My name is Sheatina and I love chickens!!~~ When we first got some, about 2.5 years ago, we bought the golden comets due to we knew nothing about chickens and only wanted eggs. When they got a little older, we bought one Ameracauna hen and 2 RIR hens. They all get along great. Later we added a white Leghorn. We love the chickens and they love us. We spend a lot of time in the chicken coup and my son holds them just like puppies. His special one is the Ameracauna (sp?) named Speckles. I think that is what she is. She is white/black. He holds her even on her back while he rubs her tummy. It is so cute. He wants to bring her in and house train her..lol. All our chickens are very sweet and they all come running to us when we go out. We bought an Ameracauna rooster (supposed to be) a few months ago. He is gorgeous. Since reading all this, I am not sure if they are true Ameracaunas or EE's. The rooster is super friendly and all the chickens love him.I will post some pics and maybe someone can help me figure out what he is. Also, we have one black chicken with green shiny feathers that someone gave us. We are now starting a new flock. We have just got some .... supposed to be Ameracauna chicks, supposed to be pullets. We are wanting to get some polish crested, but not sure how to tell if they are rooster or pullet. Since learning more about chickens, eggs are a second on the list. We like a variety of chickens and they are all beautiful in their own way. We are building up a new coop for the new flock to go in. Hopefully, we can get some Coocoo Marans and Dominick (sp?) I would like to find them locally as opposed to ordering online. What are some other good breeds to add to the flock? We would definitely like to get some guinea fowl as we are overrun with bugs out here. I have heard that they do great with catching the bugs in the garden. Hope this is true. They are so cute. Thanks so much, Sheatina

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Sheatina, [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You might post in your state thread for local birds, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/91762/north-carolina and don't forget the BYC Buy Sell Trade Forum, you can post a Want Ad after you have 20 posts.
    The BYC Breeds section has member reviews on a lot of breeds, and the Henederson chicken breed chart compares a lot of popular breeds, http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html For egg layers that oome in pretty colors you might consider Sussex, Wyandottes and Delawares as breeds, and Orpingtons are really popular, they are broody if you want to hatch eggs. For dark eggs you might also consider the Welsummers. With polish, this link has pictures of 5 week old polish near the bottom to give you an idea, they are hard to sex young. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/wc-black-and-blue-polish-breed-information-pictures

4. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    your black with the green sheen is most likely an Australop - very nice breed. You sound like a very nice person, I think that rubbed off on your chickens since they get along so well together.

Often people have a terrible time bringing new birds in because the older ones thrash them every chance they get.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!

Good luck in all your poultry adventures!!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Sheatina, welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by