New member from NE TN

tnvarmint

Chirping
Jan 21, 2019
Northeast TN
Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself a bit. I am new here obviously. I live in the mountains of Northeast TN with my wife and 12 year old daughter. We have three other children who are either married and/or in college. My wife is a nurse at our local VA and I am a medically retired, stay at home dad. We live on a small farm just under 4 acres right outside of town. Its great because we can be in town in just a few minutes and yet still have the country feeling on a fairly secluded piece of land.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We have had chickens for about 8 or so months now. My oldest daughter used to have chickens and then when her and her husband moved they had to give all of their chickens to her in-laws who currently have around 70ish. We we interested in chickens before but with the help of our daughter started our own flock.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We have 7 hens and 1 rooster. We got started with 5 chicks and 1 rooster and raised them in the house until they were old enough to be put in the run. We lost our rooster unexpectedly this past summer (went out one morning and he had died with no apparent reason). We then got two hens and a new rooster from our daughters flock.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Will have to get back to you on that one.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Pretty much everything. Obviously the eggs are great. During the summer I enjoy going and just hanging out with the girls lol. One in particular has taken to me and likes to jump up on my shoulders when in the run with them. We also love the rooster. I thought his crowing would be annoying but it is actually quite pleasant. The neighbors close enough to hear it have also commented on how they enjoy hearing him.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I am a hunter, fisher and avid outdoorsman. I enjoy hiking and backpacking. We live just miles away from the Appalachian trail among other trails and enjoy doing multi day hikes on them.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Kinda went into detail about my family up top but I guess I will go into further detail. I am a US Navy veteran that served in during the 90s. After getting out of the Navy, I spent 15 years with a local police department as a civilian technician working on their radio systems, dispatch consoles, computer networks, etc. I had to medically retire in Dec 2015 and now stay at home with my youngest daughter. My wife is a nurse at our local VA. My oldest son is 24 and married. My oldest daughter is 22 and married while attending college. My youngest son is 19 and engaged to his high school sweetheart and they are both also attending college.

Ever sense getting out of the military, we have always lived out in the boonies of the county around here but moved into the city limits for about three years. In early 2018 we moved back into the county onto a small farm. We have enough acreage that we plan to add a cow or two as soon as we can get everything fenced in. I hope to never have to live in the city limits again lol.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
I found BYC years ago and read some articles and such but never joined. I think I was even subscribed to the newsletter at one point. I can't swear to it but I think I might have initially found you guys through Mother Earth News but could be wrong.

Oh forgot to add to #6 and maybe one of the more important details.

We also have an adorable female beagle named Annie and a male boxer named Turbo. Annie loves the chickens. She will get in the run with them when we are there and just hang out with them. The chicks seem to have taken well to her also. Our boxer, as his name implies, is a bit high strung long. He DOES NOT do well around the chickens. He isn't necessarily trying to hurt them but is a very energetic and playful dog and got a hold of one this past summer. We thought he had killed her but she turned out fine and just shaken up (with a loss of a few feathers). Turbo is no longer allowed to hang out with the chickens for now. He is still young and has that puppy mentality but a full sized boxer's power so has to be watched around the chickens.

We love our four legged friends!

Welcome to BYC :frow:welcome
F77EAB51-1B22-4277-9863-C80BE79F84E6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom