new member from new york

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by teatowner, Sep 12, 2012.

1. teatowner

teatowner New Egg

Sep 12, 2012
    hi everyone!

i am new to the group, but have been in love with chickens for about 5 years now. i oversee the care of a flock of about 40-50 backyard birds for a nature center's small farm, and live on the grounds. i have learned that having chickens is an emotional ride, but worth it in many ways. i've become especially fond of the bantams i've known, including a couple dark cornish bantams (i affectionately call the chicken nuggets), and my fluffy-butts (the cochin bantams) are my absolute favorites. i've also fallen in love with the special affectionate and curious personalities of certain hens and roos over the years... we have a variety of breeds, and then a number of "mutts". most of our flock are standards: we have anywhere from 1-3 barred rock, buff orpington, new hampshire red, rhode island red, americauna, black australorp, blue andalusian and speckled sussex. and the rest are 1st or 2nd generation from these birds, and a couple are adopted birds from the local animal control found roaming the town. we successfully have 3 resident roos in our flock with a distinct pecking order and so no drama, which is nice. and, we love our roos, sgt. baker, romeo and david bowie.

the flock's purpose is educational to the community, through a local egg-to-chick programs, and local egg sales to the neighborhood. for the most part, our ladies live out long happy lives taking dirt-sunbaths, eating grass and bugs, and the most "popular" hens adorning adorable patterned "chicken saddles" to help their new feathers grow in.

i've also learned the ups and downs of loving chickens... the biggest downs being dealing with predator issues. being a nature center, we have our fair share of other animals that like the taste of chicken, i am glad to say we only now deal with the occasional hawk that takes one or two birds at the low point of winter, and yet our birds still get to graze in a spacious sized fenced yard with greens and bushes to seek refuge. i am happy to lend any help to other dealing with predator questions to figure out how to protect their flock, and not have them just living on dirt.

i look forwad to joining a community of people who enjoy chickens as much as i do!

erin baker

2. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Your set-up sounds like chicken heaven [​IMG]

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

6. [​IMG] From Jurupa Valley/Riverside CA

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC from NY[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by