New Member from Newfoundland, Canada!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bren0990, Jan 19, 2015.

1. bren0990

bren0990 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    Hi there,

My son is looking to get a couple of chickens for eggs in the spring. We live in Newfoundland so I'm wondering if we have a small outside coop would it be too cold for chickens? It doesn't get extremely cold here but it does go down to freezing for 3 or 4 months of the year. Also, we are trying to figure out the best beginner coop and run options. We have a large detached garage but I don't think I want to house potentially smelly chickens in there because we will be in there working on cars etc.. I am hoping there might be other Newfoundlanders on here or at least maybe Eastern Canadians with similar climates!

Open to any and all suggestions, as I can see there is a ton of good info on here.For some background info we have a 3/4 acre lot so lots of room and the backyard gets sun all day long. Not looking to spend too much because I am afraid my son may lose interest quickly.

Thanks!

2. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Chickens are much more able to withstand cold than they are heat - there are many breeds who are particularly "cold hardy", but most of the standard egg laying breeds would be just fine in a good coop where you live. You can see different coops here : https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops and might want to do some reading here :https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance You can even take a look here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you to start finding others in your area.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. As long as they are cold hardy breeds, chickens should do fine in an outdoor coop in your area. I've raised chickens where winter temperatures dropped to 30 F below zero, and with a well ventilated, dry, and draft free coop, they did just fine. Feathers are wonderful insulators, and moisture is a much greater danger than cold. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

1 person likes this.
  6. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Not trying to be nit-picky just trying to help [​IMG]

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I'm not sure why you posted this, but you're not being nit-picky. Knowledge saves later heartache, and you gave bren0990 some good links to check out. Keep up the good advice. :eek:)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you think your son is likely to loose interest -do yourself a favor and pick out breeds you are interested in - maybe just a couple he likes. If he wants to increase his participation - get him some more.

Having a few different breeds is one way to discover which should stay and which should live with somebody else. If you get one breed and are not happy with it, you may think you won't like chickens period.

But, they do come in all personality types, size, color, egg laying abilities etc. Some do best as yard decorations.

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Great points all around -- especially about trying a mix of breeds.

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Michael's advice.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by