New member from NJ with an emergency chick question (cross-posted to emergency thread)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pitbullmomma, May 6, 2017.

1. pitbullmomma

pitbullmomma Free Ranging

Hi all, I'm Cindi from NJ, didn't even get to introduce myself yet. I'm a first-time chicken owner but used to be a small-animal (not chicken) veterinarian. Know a bit about animals and raised quite a few babies. :)

I got 6 banties off MPC on Tuesday. 3 silkies, 3 feather-legged mix. Five of them were doing great initially. The runt who was sickly and weak from the start died after two days. I did all the supportive care stuff, but she died anyway. It wasn't a surprise and I was expecting it, honestly.

Here's the problem though: My biggest, friendliest, and healthiest silkie (she looks just like Big Bird from Sesame Street) was acting perfectly fine up till this morning. Goofy personality, kicking and scratching her food, eating like a pig, lovey. This morning I go in to check on them and she's off by herself, weak, acting like my other chick who died. Won't eat. The others are fine and lively. I gave her sugar water which she took, but still won't touch the food or chopped eggs. I don't know what to to. I really love this baby and want her to live!!! Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Cindi

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. pitbullmomma

Hi CT and thanks for the welcome! :)

No, my brooder temp is 90-95 , and they have areas to walk around where it's cooler. I have an infrared thermometer gun and a regular thermometer, I'm anal about checking the temps~

I will crosspost this to the other forum, thank you! I'm in Bayville, NJ if there are any other local chicken peeps on here. I recently moved and it seems half the neighbors have backyard chickens here. Who knew!

Cindi

4. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Twas a long shot, but do mention when you cross post that your temps are fine. At least it discounts that.

Here's a link to find your state thread -
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I'm sorry to come up blank on your silkie. Is it possible they have eaten something they shouldn't have? Chickens, chicks, will pick up anything they notice . Sounds like she got a hold of someones medication.

6. pitbullmomma

Nope, they are enclosed pretty well.No meds to get into. She did have some bloody diarrhea yesterday. So far the others are OK.

She seems like she might make it, though. I tried this last-ditch remedy the lady from MPC told me yesterday--a concoction sort of like a chick milkshake with egg, olive oil, and electrolyte water--and she actually started eating on her own last night. I cried when I saw that. She is still weak, but walking around eating and even scratching a little! Keeping my fingers crossed. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: