New Member from Norco, CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vyshtia, Sep 2, 2009.

1. vyshtia

vyshtia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Norco, CA
    Hi everyone! I'm a new member living in Norco, CA. I'm a veterinary technician living with 3 dogs, 3 cats, 3 fish, 3 quail, and 1 horse. I would never have thought that I'd be joining a chicken forum! My family have had geese and ducks when I was little but never chicken. I got the idea when I was housesitting for a lady that has 2 chicken and saw how much they liked bugs. I have a very nice garden and am an avid succulent collector - I run into bugs and worms all the time and don't know how to get rid of them...my answer now is to get a chicken! To test my theory, I dug up some grubs and offered them to the chicken, they loved em! After some research on owning chickens, I really warmed up to the idea of having fresh eggs - so now I'm hooked. We're going to build a nice chicken coop this weekend and then I'm off to find some chickens to own! I'm looking for some Buff Orpington and Wyandottes. I'm planning on just having 3 chicken (see the theme?), but there are so many cool chicken out there (never thought I'd say that) that I may end up getting more. One thing at a time, I think my biggest challenge will be finding a source to purchase these specific chicken breeds...and of pet quality too...may be too much to ask....

I've been browsing through this site and there are a lot of really nice people on here! A LOT of knowledge and experience shared too. Great site! Great people. Kudos!

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    [​IMG] from Indiana!

3. sweet tweets

sweet tweets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Enjoy your new compulsion!

4. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    [​IMG] from Virginia!

5. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    [​IMG] from Indiana [​IMG]

6. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] from WI

7. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    [​IMG] nieghbor. I dont think its gonna be to much to ask. If you live in Norco you should be able to find what your looking for. Sorry I dont have those breeds your looking for but someone on here will point you in the right direction. Chicken keeping is very addictive so make sure the coop is one that can be added on to later. Have fun and keep us posted!

Chef

8. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG]

9. vyshtia

vyshtia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Norco, CA
    The coop we're planning on building is going to be a coop/run combo. The coop itself will be 4ft X 4ft, inside a run that is 6ft tall and 10 ft long...something like that. Should be roomy enough for a few chickens! I'm sure we will be able to add to it if necessary...my bf is very handy about stuff like that. I'm not expecting to go too crazy with the whole chicken thing...but then...I never thought I'd ever even own chickens in the first place! LOL

10. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG] You will enjoy your new flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by