1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new member from Norfolk, VA

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hooray4hummus, Mar 25, 2007.

1. hooray4hummus

hooray4hummus New Egg

Mar 25, 2007
    hello,
    my name is Halle, and like in the subject line, i'm from norfolk, but i'll clarify first that i am not affiliated with a certain organization that shall not be named:/ that is based in norfolk.

anyways, i'm completely new to chickens, and i'm not yet sure if i can even get started in them (for personal, egg-laying purposes:)). i'm waiting for a response from someone in the city gov't on whether or not we can even have hens. is anyone else here from Norfolk, VA or the Southeastern VA/ Tidewater/Hampton Roads area? If so (or if not), do you know if we can have chickens in Norfolk? or does anyone know an easier way to find out if i can have chickens?

i look forward to learning more about chickens on this message board:D
    thank you.

2. akahn01

akahn01 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Hello Halle
    Im from Fairfax Virginia and i am new to chickens too. After learning about how great chickens I wanted one really bad. I asked my science teacher about any regulations or laws against owning chickens. She told me that in Fairfax county it is NOT illegal to have chickens. I know this might not apply to Norfolk but since our countys are pretty close i thought maybe there was a chance. Another thing is that if you live in like a kneighborhood with a goverment type thing you might want to see if you can get there aproval. Also i learned it is illeagal to build a permenant structure without a permit so i put my chicken coop on wheels [​IMG].
    Andrew

3. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Welcome to BYC Halle!

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Halle!
    I have family in Virginia Beach, so I've been to your parts! Welcome to the board.

5. Jeani

Jeani New Egg

Sep 7, 2008
    I know this thread is over a year old but I would really like to know how things turned out.
    I'm interested in having chickens simply for the eggs. I've read in the Norfolk city code online (http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=10121&sid=46) that while it's not expressly prohibited to own fowl in Norfolk, you must get a permit from the Director of the Department of Public Health.
    I guess I'll be emailing the director soon and asking them what hurdles will have to be jumped. Whee!

****EDIT****Well after spending some serious time pouring through the city codes and regulations I've found that you cannot have poultry on less than 5 acres in Norfolk. [​IMG] Sad day indeed.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by