New member from North Carolina.

gfiman

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 28, 2014
Ramseur NC
Joined a couple months ago. I'm building an 8 footx8 foot coop. Will have 6 external access nesting boxes, and I plan to house around8-10 chickens. I bought them from a fellow worker that has been raising chickens for a long time. He is keeping them until I get my ccop finished. They are this years hatch, and are starting to lay. They are a mix of New Hampshire and Red Sexlinks.

I just have one question right now. What is the best roosting perch for the birds? I've read about everything from sticks to 2 x 4's.
I'm thinking 2x4's with well rounded edges would be best.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Lots of good reading on this site! Looking so forward to getting my chickens home, I'm close!

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome from GA. So glad you joined us. I think 2X4 with rounded edges, 4" side up is best. Yours are big girls like my BR and BO and they like them.

Welcome!! 2x4s work great. Turn them wide side up. This way your hens won't have to grip when they are trying to sleep and in winter they can sit down on their feet and keep them warm at night. Most chickens don't like rounded roosts for sleeping.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. X4 on 2 x 4s, wide flat side up. You are going to get loads of egg from those Red Sex Link hens. I've raised them for years, and they, along with my Black Sex Links, have been my best layers, consistently laying more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Sex Links are egg laying machines. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

X2 on the 2x4's. Turn the 4 side up. You don't have to round them over, but you can. Just make sure there are no sharp edges or splinters anywhere they can poke their feet on.

Make yourself at home here. If you have any questions along the way about your coop build or your flock, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes like everyone else has said, if you turn the roost you lessen the chance of splinters and frostbite. Chickens like to sleep flat footed.

Back
Top Bottom