new member from north carolins

kat1117

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
North Carolina
I'm new at raising chickens. We started a flock for our granddaughter and we want to keep her and her chickens healthy. I hope this site will help.

Welcome, kat1117!!!
welcome-byc.gif

You'll find tons of helpful information and countless fun, supportive, chicken-loving people here!
highfive.gif

What kind of chickens are you raising?!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Where is the skin bare? If it is on the back and neck of the hen, then it is from mating. And this usually starts because he is over mating them. You need more hens. The rooster to hen ratio is good at 1:10. Any less and the rooster over mates the hens. This can cause them damage or even harm them. I would separate him from the hens. You can use blu-kote on the bare skin spots so the others don't mess with the growing feathers. You can also use hen saddles to protect the backs of the hens....http://www.hensaver.com

Never let a rooster be rough with the hens. And be careful with roosters around children. Roosters can hurt little kids.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

If you only want egg and pets, then no. You do not need a rooster. The hens will lay regardless whether a rooster is present or not. Roosters are good for wanting fertile eggs. That is about it. Some of them can turn mean and other than looking pretty, LOL, they can be a lot of work. So don't keep one if you don't want fertile eggs or want to have chicks. :)

Back
Top Bottom