1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new member from north fl!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pinkfarmergirl, Apr 10, 2016.

1. pinkfarmergirl

pinkfarmergirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    Hi! We have had chickens for a year now! We started with 3 hens and a rooster then someone [aka hubs] forgot to put them away one night and now we have 1 hen and one rooster. Soooo.... of course walking through tsc I saw cute babies and bought 6 chick's and 6 ducks [pekins] not realizing ducks grow big and fast haha so I'm enjoying all the info you guys have on here! Thanks!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - glad to have you onboard with us.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced poultry keepers - loads of info on anything poultry. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

These links may help you for the moment.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here!! Sorry to hear you lost a couple of your hens, I've had it happen too and it sure was heart breaking. Congrats on your new chicks and ducklings :clap

CT has left you some great links to check out. Wishing you the very best of luck in the future and enjoy BYC :frow

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry to hear of your loss. Another example of a rooster that didn't give up his life to protect his hens. Do you have any idea what type of predator it was? Once they get an easy meal, they keep coming back unless you can stop them(by any means).

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. pinkfarmergirl

pinkfarmergirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016

No clue the hubs thinks it was a owl [really?] Where we live is pretty rural so we have all kinds of Critters running around foxes wild dogs [apparently] coyotes there has even been some Florida Panthers or Bobcats or something that's been spotted out that way. I'm guessing a coon or opossum got them. There was one night we almost lost our last hen Bertha and the rooster was making all kinds of noise at 2pm so hubs went to go check (since he didn't put them in their pen) and he found her on the ground with a hurt leg. So I guess big sexy [rooster] felt bad about not keeping his other women alive haha so he helped save this one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by