New member From North Texas...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BHolcomb, Feb 10, 2017.

1. BHolcomb

BHolcomb Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    Denison, TX
    Hello all,
    Just found, and joined, today. The wife has been wanting chickens for quite some time and now that we finally moved to the country we acquired a coop and are going to be getting our chicks in about a week from now. I was leaning towards the Welsummers and she was looking at some Black Laced Silver Wyandottes. So if anything, I was looking about for the temperament of each and I seem to have found that the Welsummers are not too bad in that respect and I sure do love their look! They are beautiful, not that the Wyandottes are not, but they have that classic farm look to them and I love the bright colors, especially the rooster. Is there any thoughts on this matter? If so, much appreciated.
    Thanks and glad to be here to enjoy the ride!

Take Care,
    Ben

2. HARRY47264

HARRY47264 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2016
    Bismarck AR
    Welcome from Arkansas You will enjoy the info and fellow chicken lovers you meet on BYC.You picked out some very pretty breeds, most breeds can be controlled if you start young and show who's at the top of the pecking order
    from day one. There is a poultry sale-swap at Gilmer Tx on April 22 that's 30 miles south of MT. Plesant.You might find some interesting breeds there I will probably attend to try and reduce my flock I have 80 eggs in my incubators right now. Have a nice nite
    Harry

1 person likes this.
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Ben [​IMG] Welcome!

How exciting! I wish you all the best in your chicken parenting.

Apologies that I am not familiar with Welsummmers or Wynadottes but if you pop them in the Search option you might find some existing breed discussion threads and/or reviews.

I recommend a visit to the Learning Centre; lots of good tips there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello, Ben and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. The Breeds section should have some good information on the breeds, including reviews from members. This chart is quite useful, if a little general - http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

Personally, I'd start out with both breeds that you have chosen. You will soon find out which breed suits you and your climate the best.

Best wishes
    CT

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock Ben. Nice to meet you.

1 person likes this.
  6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Ben, it's nice to have you join us. I vote for a mixed flock of both breeds...that way both you and your wife get to have the birds you're most interested in.

1 person likes this.
  7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Ben, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! Good luck to and thanks for joining BYC!!

1 person likes this.
  8. BHolcomb

BHolcomb Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    Denison, TX
    Thanks for all the replies!
    I have noticed a couple of posts saying get both breeds...How will they work together and what about the roosters and how they will get along together? Should we only get one rooster and how will he react to the other breed?

Just curious...first time and all!!!

Thanks,
    Ben

9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    The Welsummers and Wyandottes should get along just fine, especially if raised together. The usually recognized ratio of rooster to hens is 1 roo per 8-10 hens, that's to help prevent problems caused by over-breeding and fighting between the roosters for the hens affections. As for say a Welsummer roo's reaction to a Wyandotte hen, boys will be boys and while they might have "favorites" they will mate with the other breed.

1 person likes this.
  10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and my warmest welcome to the flock! I am quite pleased you decided to join us, please pull up a chair and make yourself at home here! I hope you enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by