New member from Northern CA intro

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tjatte, Sep 23, 2012.

1. tjatte

tjatte New Egg

Sep 23, 2012
    Hi,

We live in the San Francisco Bay area near the ocean in a rural area and have a small ranch where we raise chickens and horses. Currently, we have 2 flocks of pastured chickens each in their own large pastures. We also feed them veggies and fruit from our organic garden and orchard as well as the pasture and organic feed..

We have raised chickens for the 27 years we have lived here. They primarily have been Barred Rocks, Aracaunas, Astralthorpes, and silver and gold lace wings. These hens were great layers, friendly, and cooed in the mornings and evenings to talk to one another, which I loved. Currently we have a flock of Barred Rock and Aracauna hens with 2 Barred Rock roosters which are very good at protecting them from intruders and calling the hens back if they venture too far. The other flock is from from Braggs Mountain poultry. We were promised hens but received 11 roosters and 12 hens after waiting 2 years to get them and our money being held for that entire 2 years. The Braggs Mountain poultry are voracious eaters (they have been during their entire 5 mos since we received them as babies) and the roosters fight amongst themselves and the hens amongst themselves. In the past we've had 2 roosters fight once in a while but not everyday and frequently.

We have 3 cats, a 10 week old Turkish Kangal female puppy that is a livestock guard dog, and horses. We also are avid hikers.

Tjatte

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I've had a similar experience when I ordered (and paid for!) pullets and received straight run chicks, 2 months late... Frustrating, isn't it? If you decide to rehome some of your extra roosters try posting in the Buy~Sell~Trade section. Good luck!

3. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello! Greetings from Kentucky. We're very happy you joined!

[​IMG]

4. leirob007

leirob007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    WOW, I may have lost my sanity on that order. The only chicks I ever ordered was from Estes Hatchery out of MO. and I am pleased to say that they guarantee a 90% sexing rate. the orders of mine have been 100% correct. But Greetings from South Carolina.

5. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC

6. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Welcome to BYC! Seeing as you've raised chooks for awhile, maybe you know a thing or two. Feel free to share!

7. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    howdy neighbor :)

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

9. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    [​IMG]
    from NC

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by