New member from Northern WI!

LSBCHX

Hatching
7 Years
May 31, 2012
Bayfield, Wisconsin
Hello anybody reading this!

I am new to the chicken world and so far all my knowledge has come from "Stoney's Guide to Raising Chickens" and Google. Hoping to make some knowledgeable friends on backyardchickens! I currently have 4 Ameraucanas who are 2 weeks old who are living in my extra bedroom in a brooder and will be staying in there until they get their feathers (frost advisory for us tonight up here!). I ordered them from my local Agricultural Center who said they are all pullets I am interested in meeting anyone who knows about northern WI winters, predators, and has any helpful tips.

- My chicks at one week old

So far my project is getting the outdoor coop ready. This is what I have so far:

I still need a roof (lots of raptors here) and would appreciate some tips :) I am going to bury that chicken wire to keep out the foxes living under my neighbors house. I have a 11lb feeder and 3 gallon heated waterer that are not shown. I am interested in hearing about deep litter or what people use for their coop floors

Now I just want to show off my favorite :)

Anyways, I appreciate any comments or tips that you experienced peeps have! Thanks!

kidcody

Crowing
9 Years
Nov 1, 2010
Autumn Farm English Orpingtons
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!

Fierlin1182

powered-flight
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Hello and :welcome

Glad to have you on board! Your coop looks good so far. Heaps of folks use hardware cloth, maybe even a double layer, to predator-proof roofs and walls. :p
If you want to meet other people in your state, check out the Where am I, where are you section.

I like your last pic! That's cute. :lol:

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Hello and welcome to BYC! Gorgeous chicks, nice photos
smile.png

1muttsfan

Up Northerner
10 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Upper Peninsula Michigan
Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
frow.gif

At 2 weeks of age, your chicks still need about 85 degree temp, dropping about 5 degrees per week, until they are fully feathered at 6 weeks of age. If your spring has been cool like ours, especially when it drops at night, your chicks are likely to need supplemental heat for another several weeks,

I agree with the advice to wrap at least the bottom of your run with hardware cloth, and cover it over with poultry netting (the heavy-duty kind) or chicken wire to prevent predation.

Good luck!

LSBCHX

Hatching
7 Years
May 31, 2012
Bayfield, Wisconsin
Thanks all for your hellos, congrats, and advice! I will definitely use your expertise if needed. Much love!

1muttsfan - I went to NMU, love the UP, wish they had more jobs :) Thanks for the advice!

Top Bottom