New member from Northwest Ohio

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ToniTalley, Mar 8, 2015.

1. I found this great site when I was googling for coop designs, and finally got around to joining. This is absolutely the best chicken site on the web! We took in 6 baby chickens this spring because the owner lived in the city and couldn't keep them (Easter chicks for the kids, grrrr). My hubs has always wanted chickens so he 'volunteered' to take them. He and some friends built a big coop at my request, and I will try to post pictures, but they are on my phone, and I don't see how to initiate a new post on the mobile page. Unfortunately, we ended up with 3 rooster and 3 hens. Then, being novices, we lost two of the hens to coyotes before we realized you have to lock them up safely in the coop at night. The roosters squabble a lot, but today was the first time they drew blood. I am not sure how to go about trading them for hens or giving the roosters away so we can buy more hens. I have learned a lot from this site and the forum, and will be learning much more, I am sure.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear you lost two of your hens :hugs I too was the victim of a fox attack and lost my birds. I thought I was secure but obviously was not. It was steep learning curve on predator security and now my birds are counted in to the coops and double locked down.

As Roos develop and mature the hormones kick in especially with you only having one hen now. They will fight to death to be top roo so I would try to seperate them as soon as you can. Once they have drawn blood this acts as even more of an incentive to fight.

Once you have a post count of 20 you could post in the buy sell trade section to rehome them. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade

Drop by the where am I wher are you section too there may be people in your area who can help you https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Good luck and hope you enjoy BYC, I am sure you will :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

You can often give extra cockerels away on Craigslist

4. Thanks for the information and links. I finally got some pictures onto my computer to post.

This is the old small coop when we first got the young chicken last spring.
    [​IMG]

The gang free-ranging, sort of. They are in a large fenced in area with a pond.
    [​IMG]

The big new coop...complete with interested cat.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry for your losses. Predators will take advantage of things if they can get a free meal.

Love your coop and run! Looks like the birds have a wonderful area to roam. Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions about things, feel free to ask.

Oh and you might try putting up a flier at your local feed store for your roosters. Sometimes it is hard to give away roosters. You can also place an ad in our Buy Sell and Trade section as Yorkshire Coop has suggested when you have 20 posts.

Good luck and we do welcome you to our flock!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

I'm sorry to hear about the lost hens and the rooster fighting! I hope you can find some more hens soon.[​IMG]

That's a very nice coop!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

8. Thanks for the warm welcome. I made a separate little roost/nest in the coop yard so if any of them feel too threatened they can get in their own little shelter.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by