New Member from NW Indiana, also new chicken owner have a chicken with an oil slick butt

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by charmchick, Sep 12, 2012.

1. charmchick

charmchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Excited to meet new friends with similar interests I'm loving being a chicken owner how it all started is a story for another blog lol I originally started with 6 chickens and was under the impression i purchased 6 females but that wasn't the case I ended up with 4 males and 2 females very disappointing. Regardless the 2 hens I still have are beautiful Brahmas and are approximately 7 months old and are still trying to figure out the proper schedule to lay eggs we have gotten some double yoke's some missed days and some regular days but my issue is one of my hens "Paco" has what looks like an oil slick? I guess it could be diarrhea but it has been on going for over a month i have them in a fairly large pen with a hutch (summer/starter) I am building a bigger one for them. The girls sleep on top of it but do go in to lay eggs in the nesting box they free range when we are home, the inside of the hutch is a coated wire bottom so I am not sure if maybe its uncomfortable or what, they have been in my garden and love tomatoes but she had her Poppy before she got into the tomatoes Does any one have any similar problems her poop is black and white? Thank you in advance:)

2. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

sorry i don't kknow but im sure someone will come along soon that does.glad you joined us :)

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I don't have chickens so I don't have any advice for you but [​IMG]

4. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC from NY

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    [​IMG] Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan - try posting your question in the Injuries and Diseases section of the Forum. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, charmchick, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! I second what 1muttsfan advised. Best of luck to you!

8. Pearce Pastures

Pearce Pastures Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Wanatah, Indiana
    Welcome fellow NWI resident!!

I have two thoughts on your scouring bird.

The first is coccidia overload---there are medicated feeds that can help to prevent this parasitic protozoa from getting out of hand but once they are having a problem, you might do well to go to your farm store for a more potent treatment.

The second thought I have is the tomato plants---they are a part of the nightshade family and though the chickens might not go to town on the leaves, it could be a reaction to ingesting some.

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California! x3 1muttsfan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by