New member from NY!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JenNY99, Jan 31, 2011.

1. JenNY99

JenNY99 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Hi everyone!

My name is Jennifer and I have been interested in getting chickens for over a year now and thought that I would make the leap this spring. My husband and I live in Northern NY on several acres of land with our 2 Boxers and 9 cats.

I am sure those of you that have been raising chickens for a long time get sick of the newbie questions, so I have done a LOT of research. But I still have some lingering questions in my mind that I hope you guys can help me with.

I look forward to hopefully starting this new adventure!

Some questions:
    1) I live in Northern NY. It doesn't get cold here, it gets COLD. It was -23 today at our house. I do not plan on heating the coop. Can the chickens really do okay in this weather?
    2) I would like to let the chickens out running free most of the day. Will they really come back? (Predators are not a concern)
    3) To have a rooster or not? That is the question. I know the hens don't need a rooster and I'm not interested in hatching chicks, but should I have a boy?
    4) I would like to have 4-5 hens. When I place my order for chicks should I order more? How common is baby chick mortality when they are shipped to me?

Thanks everyone!

Jen

2. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio [​IMG]

People in Alaska keep chickens it will be harder to keep the water from freezing when it is cold, but not impossible
    Keeping a rooster might be okay at helping watch for predators, but even they can get grabbed.
    Many hatcheries won't ship less then 15 chicks, but local farm supply stores some times have them in and you can buy the amount you like.

3. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    [​IMG]

1) I live in Northern NY. It doesn't get cold here, it gets COLD. It was -23 today at our house. I do not plan on heating the coop. Can the chickens really do okay in this weather?

There are several members who live up by you. Chickens do just fine as long as they have a dry, draft free coop.

2) I would like to let the chickens out running free most of the day. Will they really come back? (Predators are not a concern)

Yup, they sure will [​IMG]

3) To have a rooster or not? That is the question. I know the hens don't need a rooster and I'm not interested in hatching chicks, but should I have a boy?

[​IMG] Everyone should have a rooster, or 5 [​IMG]

4) I would like to have 4-5 hens. When I place my order for chicks should I order more? How common is baby chick mortality when they are shipped to me?

Most place will have a minimun order of 10 - 25 unless you live inside a large city and they can get to your very quickly. There are a few that will ship less but they may include some extra males to keep your pullets warm.

Good luck!

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I am not as far up as you, but my chickens were fine in -26,no heat. [​IMG]

5. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

I'm WAY up North, too...I'm from WAY Northern NY now living in Southern Quebec. We hit -30 the other night...our girls are fine!

Once they learn where the coop is, they'll come in at night!

A roo or not is up to you. If you have no desire to hatch, I'd likely say no.

Many places won't ship just 5. Try the local feed store...or find someone on here. There are LOTS of us up North that are ALREADY hatching. We've got around 60 in brooders now. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  6. JenNY99

Jan 31, 2011
    You guys are awesome, thanks! As far as a minimum, we have a local feed store that orders exactly how many I want - no minimums (they might combine with other peoples orders, he didn't say...). I will be getting a few extra as my brother in law, a retired farmer, wants some new chicks, but doesn't want to bother to separate the babies from the adults he already has. So I'll raise some for him until they are old enough to be put in with his existing chickens.

I am leaning towards getting Brahmas.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Meyer Hatchery ship's a minimum of 3 chicks, but you'll pay more in shipping through their small order program, you can check them out online. You stated that predators are not a concern...you have 2 dogs and 9 cats. Please take that into consideration once you get your chicks/chickens.

8. JenNY99

Jan 31, 2011
    No worries, Dawg - our cats are indoor cats only so they won't bother the chickens. Our dogs are very well behaved Boxers. Boxers can have a strong prey drive, but we are VIGILANTE about our dogs being extremely well behaved, socialized and they listen to us no questions asked. We will begin training them that the chickens are family members from the minute we get them.

9. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

10. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Northern California. [​IMG] By all means get a rooster. It will make your hens happy.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by