New Member from Ohio

Lyddz

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 21, 2011
Alliance/Sebring
I'm a super new-to-chickens highschooler, don't have any chickens yet, don't really know what breeds to get, and don't really have an absolute "Yes!" on the whole thing from my parents. Right now I'm still in the process of convincing my parents (and myself, truthfully) to get them. I found BYC via Google because I had this brilliant idea to talk to someone who knows they're stuff, and this forum has a lot of somebodies!

Another of my hobbies is finding ways to recycle, like building a pallet shed or fence, using old trashcans to grow potatoes in, old rubbermaid storage bins as nest boxes, old milk jugs as pooper scooper, old clothes and towels used to make rag rugs, stuff like that. I'm also trying to convince my family to start a garden, compost, get goats, and conform to my use-everything recycling method. I set my goals high:p I'm the oldest of 4, so maybe I can brain-wash my little sisters to back me up when asking my dad if I can build a pallet-shed or fence.

And there is me in a (really long) introduction!!
big_smile.png

Keep convincing your parents, because chickens are great to have around! the best breeds (I think) would be the rhode island reds, Buff Orphingtons, red and black sex-links, etc. I hope you get some!
wee.gif

Hi Welcome! I am a new member too! Our whole family got into chickens and my daughter who is 12 started showing them in 4-H last year. Are you wanting to do 4-H or just have them for fun and organic eggs?
I agree that the production strains Plymouth Rock, Rhode Islands, Red Stars, etc would be great for farm fresh eggs.
You might want something a bit fancier for showing to do well at the fair.
I love our Orpington she is fat and fluffy and gentle. Kids especially like to hold and handle chickens and some breeds are more skittish.
We just added some baby Australorpes and Speckled Sussex.
So talk your parents into it and have some fun!
Paula

Back
Top Bottom