1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member from Oklahoma

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WUVIE, Jun 9, 2016.

1. WUVIE

WUVIE New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    Greetings from Northeastern Oklahoma! [​IMG]

We've dabbled in ducks over the years, but now that hubs is retired, he will have time to properly house and care for them. In times past, they've flown away, or faced demise from a predator. :-(

Our recent additions to the family came by way of Craigslist. A nice couple was selling what we could only call a 'barnyard mix' of duck eggs, at $4.00 per dozen. We began with 53 eggs, incubated them, and waited. The end result was 39 ducklings, though 4 did not survive hatching, and the rest never even pecked the egg.

We were told the mix could consist of Pekin, Runner, Cayuga, Khaki Campbell, etc.
    The four that died were black.

Yesterday, we had our first scare. The little runt of the bunch found himself in the little wading pool, unable to get out because his larger siblings had splashed the water level down, and he was quite tired when we found him. No more unsupervised swimming until they are older! He is fine today. Whew!

My parents gave us their old gazebo, so the plan is to enclose it, and add a run for the ducks.

I found this site by searching for what to do when a little one has been in the water too long. [​IMG]
    Looking forward to many fun chats with all of you!

Karen & Roger
    Northeastern Oklahoma
    Ducks, dogs, cats, chickens, koi, and a welcome home to many other critters.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community! Aww....poor baby duckling! Babies sure can get themselves into predicaments, can't they!

Ducks sure are cute!! I don't keep them so I can't give you much advice here but you might stop by our ducks section for more help, tell stories and post pictures of your babies... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Good luck with your babies! And we do welcome you to our flock! :)

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Karen and Roger and welcome to our community. I hope that you both enjoy being members as much as the rest of us.

Best wishes
    CT

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

I so wish I could have ducks. Glad you found your little one in time!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Karen and Roger and glad you saved the runt. Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens.(ducks too)

7. mjh2032

mjh2032 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    Karen and Roger, so glad the story ended well for that little guy. Babies need so much supervision. I would love to see a picture of the gazebo once you convert it

Maria

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by