1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member from Ragley, La.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Conway Corbello, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Conway Corbello

Conway Corbello New Egg

Dec 15, 2015
    Ragley, La.
    Hi,
    We'really from Ragley, Louisiana, and a friend has given us 30 freshly hatched chickens. Another friend has loaned us their brooder, a waterer, and a feeder. This is our first venture into poultry. These birds are supposed to be all rooster, about half of them are black, and the other half red. We have no idea what breed they are, we plan to feed them up and butcher them, but if it turns out that we have hens (either meat or laying), we may decide to keep a few. They're a week old, and we let them enjoy the sun in the screened section of the brooder during the day, and put them in the enclosed section with the light (100 W flood) with feed and water overnight. We're feeding them 24% chicken starter and put 1 Tbsp of sugar and 1 Tbsp of Bragg's apple cider vinegar / 1 gallon of water in their waterer. We have lost 2 of them, I suspect due to trampling. Any ideas or suggestions?

2. Caleb999

Caleb999 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd suggest posting this in the raising baby chicks forum. Welcome to BYC, and if you haven't done so already, you should check out the learning centre. It's great! So glad you decided to join!

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    IS the brooder actually large enough to provide space for 30 chicks. That is a very large number and they grow fast. Maybe you need more feeders and water pans so every one doesn't have to gang up trying to get some.

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by