1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Member from Sacramento, CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by doomahachy, Jan 19, 2014.

1. doomahachy

doomahachy New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    Greetings form Sacramento everybody,

I sure love having chickens...Love the eggs, love the birds. I have unfortunately, been through quite a few birds. Why? There is an organization out here called Animal Place - they are a sanctuary and they rescue production hens from going to slaughter. Problem is, many of them end up dying form eggbound. They are bred for production, typically laying an egg per day. This is very hard on the reproductive system and it is very common for eggbound (google it) to happen. It has been very sad finding dead chickens in the coop, but I am glad to have provided them a happy home for the remainder of their days.

I have historically adopted those hens - Have never purchased or raised chicks. Now, I have been through probably 9 hens this way, and I have one left - A South american Auricana...Beautfiul, hearty, healthy bird. She lays blue eggs of course, and they are yummy. I just adopted two other hens from my ex-girlfriend - hers were raised form chicks and are the most gentle, gregarious beauties you could hope for. The three girls have bonded and are like Tres Hermanas. A happy coop indeed.

Glad to be on here- always watching for new info and tips related to the hens.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Hi there and welcome to BYC!

What a wonderful thing you are doing!! Yes, battery hens take a beating. But it is people like yourself that give them a second chance at life. And some of them do live quite a while after being released. They can become quite loving chickens.

Keep up the GREAT work you are doing and enjoy BYC!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh, and there are quite a few threads on saving and keeping battery hens. You might do a search here on BYC and join in!

4. SwedishDude99

SwedishDude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Welcome to BYC! I live about 25 minutes from sacramento up in the foothills. I have looked at animal places' website many times wanting to adopt some birds from them, but I never end up filling out an adoption application. It's great that you are rescuing battery hens, with how horrible their life was in those factories. Again, welcome! :D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!