New member from Santa Cruz Cty, CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FrancaV, May 6, 2011.

1. FrancaV

FrancaV New Egg

Mar 30, 2011
    Hi, all,

I meant for my first post to be this introduction, but I kind of got blind-sided today so I posted in another thread about my chick's crossed beak first.

I'm a brand new chick owner. My uncle has chickens and several friends have chickens and I've wanted chickens for awhile but my husband has been resistant to the idea. A perfect solution presented itself when one of my friends offered to let me keep my chicks at her place. I can learn from her and see how the Great Chicken Experiment goes before trying to convince my husband to have some at home next year. [​IMG] My friend's place is less than ten minutes from mine and I was going over there most days anyway because it's where I also keep my horse. It wouldn't be terribly inconvenient to keep my chickens there forever but I do think it would be nice to have them at home. We'll see ....

Anyway, I got four Ameraucana/EE chicks four weeks ago and they've been delightful. I just got them to be laying hens - not interested in breeding - and while I'd love to have blue-green eggs I'll be happy with whatever they give me. I don't know if the forum will let me post photos yet, but I'll give it a try. Here they are at 4 or 5 days old. This is a shot from behind that shows their coloring. I tried to get a pic from the front that showed all four, but there was always one grooming or facing the other way, LOL!

[​IMG]

I really need to take some new photos ... I have some more recent ones on my cell phone but they're not very good. The chicks are much bigger now and have nearly all of their feathers!

Franca
    and
    Eowyn, Rosie, Kiwi and Arwen

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Very cute chicks [​IMG]

4. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    [​IMG] from Pennsylvania! We are glad you joined!

5. KansasBoy

KansasBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
    [​IMG] from Kansas!

6. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] from Ga.

7. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    That wall looks mighty interesting to them. Welcome to BYC. Is Santa Cruz City the same as Santa Cruz? I lived in San Jose and visited Santa Cruz at least once a week. Got a kick out of them putting the Boardwalk in Lost Boys.

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Great pics. [​IMG]

9. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join us. Good luck with your birds. Cute pic.

10. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from Maine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by