1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"New" member from SC!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Turtle5600, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Turtle5600

Turtle5600 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    Lugoff, South Carolina
    Hey y'all,
    I joined years ago but never made any posts and ended up moving away and leaving my chickens with the person who still lived in the house. I'm back in my own home now and I have chickens again! I found some plans online and modified them to my needs and started buliding. Here are some of the finished pictures of the coop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some pictures of my birds. The red ones I was told are Red Rangers, I had three more but they were huge at 10 weeks and I butchered them for meat. The other ones are mixed with something and are much smaller. The white ones I think are White Rocks, not 100% on that. All together I have 11 hens(5 red and 6 white) and a red rooster.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Wow, you did a great job on that coop! And aww...your birds are adorable!

Thanks for sharing. And enjoy your flock! Chickens sure are fun to keep.

Make yourself at home here and welcome to our roost! :)

3. KuneKune

KuneKune Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Franklin, Georgia
    Hi, NewNew to BYC! Don't have chickens yet but they are expected July 27!! Oh and amazing chicken coop turtle5600.

4. Turtle5600

Jul 18, 2013
    Lugoff, South Carolina
    Thanks guys... took a bit of cash to build but I shouldn't ever have to replace it. It's 4'x8' and very roomy for my birds, they seem to enjoy it. The run is 8'x16' and is fenced under the coop too, so they have that space to go get out of the sun. Here's some more pictures of the build and the inside of the coop. The original plans were 4'x4' and had a pan to slide out to clean out the poop. I decided a 4'x8' pan would have been too cumbersome, and opted for the door on the front. I still need to make a door for the chicken entrance, I'm thinking a guillotine type door on a cable and pulley to a lever on the front of the coop. So I can raise and lower it without having to go into the run.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you join us.

That is a good looking coop... and one lanky cockerel!

6. KuneKune

Jun 13, 2016
    Franklin, Georgia
    Eating smocked chicken tonight!! delicious ;)

7. KuneKune

Jun 13, 2016
    Franklin, Georgia
    Smoked

8. Turtle5600

Jul 18, 2013
    Lugoff, South Carolina
    Thanks, took a lot of work going up. The cockerel is a big guy, he looks thin in this picture but he's very rounded and loves to eat all the time. I'm being told he's a Red Sex Link. I just looked and I don't have a good picture of him. He's just started crowing, and its really funny. It's really deep. Might have a Bing Crosby rooster!!! lol

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Not a RSL - if he was he'd be mostly white. I'd say maybe son of an RSL hen, which basically makes him a good old fashioned mutt. Boys are so funny when they first start crowing.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I recognize the photo from the "what breed or gender is this."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by