1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Member from Southern California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Alex818, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Alex818

Alex818 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    Tujunga, CA
    Hi Everyone,

New member here from Tujunga, CA. I've been browsing the forums in the recent weeks and picked up tons of good information in preparation for raising my own chickens for meat. When I was younger, I kept a few chickens as pets (and for eggs of course) so I have some basic experience with them.

My friend and I have never butchered a chicken before so we're going to give it a try together the first time. I've been doing some reading, and we've been watching a bunch of butchering/processing videos on Youtube so I think we're ready to do it. We go hunting together so we have some experience with skinning and field dressing animals which will hopefully help us to deal with the whole process better.

Due to noise issues I don't want to keep roosters so I'll have to find a steady source of fertile eggs here in Southern California to hatch in my incubator. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here and I appreciate all the great information you all post.

Alex

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Welcome alex that is awesome to have your own fresh meet, I'm raising chickens for eggs and compost for my garden. I want to go to the store as few times as possible.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Alex, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! Best of luck with your butchering - you will find the second time to be easier than the first - experience being the best teacher.

6. Alex818

Mar 19, 2013
    Tujunga, CA
    I'm sure you are 100% correct. It will probably take 1 or 2 to get the hang of it.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Alex, good luck with the processing, and understand that it getts easier with experience. Welcome to BYC.

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

9. Alex818

Mar 19, 2013
    Tujunga, CA
    Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by