New member from Southwest Nebraska

rdalepeak

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2018
Greetings to all,

We are transplants from central Alabama where we spent the 1st 50 or so years. Now due to job requirements, we have moved to (extremely rural) southwest Nebraska. Fortunately, my wife's employer has allowed her to work remotely via Internet. The downside of her job now is the lack of social encounters that she had back home. She now has a coop of yearlings and 6 month old chicks that she calls "her ladies". If anyone were to shadow her movements in the coop, they would surely have her committed because she talks to them, pets them and congratulated the older hens when they lay eggs!

The previous owners of our property left a 8x10 utility shed behind that we turned into a coop. We added a kennel style fence with a door to the front and connected it securely to the shed. This has worked out well, but feel they need more room to roam... so we're adding a 8x16 run with wire all around soon.

We have enjoyed reading the articles without being members and felt it was time to join the melee.

Dale & Alison

Hi Dale / Alison and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link, if you have not already done so. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

smiley welcome 2.gif

I think your wife sounds entirely sane, doesn't everyone talk to their birds?

FARMER-CONNIE-GREAT-INTRO-F.gif
Greetings to all,

We are transplants from central Alabama where we spent the 1st 50 or so years. Now due to job requirements, we have moved to (extremely rural) southwest Nebraska. Fortunately, my wife's employer has allowed her to work remotely via Internet. The downside of her job now is the lack of social encounters that she had back home. She now has a coop of yearlings and 6 month old chicks that she calls "her ladies". If anyone were to shadow her movements in the coop, they would surely have her committed because she talks to them, pets them and congratulated the older hens when they lay eggs!

The previous owners of our property left a 8x10 utility shed behind that we turned into a coop. We added a kennel style fence with a door to the front and connected it securely to the shed. This has worked out well, but feel they need more room to roam... so we're adding a 8x16 run with wire all around soon.

We have enjoyed reading the articles without being members and felt it was time to join the melee.

Dale & Alison
farmer connie 5765775.jpg

hhal2018.gif

Back
Top Bottom