1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Member from Stanislaus County, California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jhhess, Sep 14, 2015.

1. jhhess

jhhess Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2015
    Patterson, California
    Hello All,

Just a quick intro and a huge thank you!

First the intro. I live in the hot, sticky, central valley of California where it NEVER rains, or at least it hasn't for the past 3 or 4 years. It's September and I'm still looking for ways to cool down my chickens. I have 1 husband, 2 weenie dogs, and 5 (yes, I said 5) indoor cats, and 2 lavender orpingtons which I am convinced are the most beautiful chickens in the county.

I'm a super newbie, but I'm a research freak which can be good or bad. In the case of the chickens, it's been all good. So much helpful information on this website in the forums and in the articles. I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their trials and tribulations concerning their flocks. Everyone is so kind and if there is a disagreement, which seems to be rare, there is no squabbling. Everyone just agrees to disagree. I love that.

Anyway, if there is anyone out there from Stanislaus County, particularly from around Patterson, I would love to compare notes.

Thanks Again,
    Janis

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi, welcome to BYC!

If you want to meet other members from CA, you can find them here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

It seems like there is always something new to learn about chickens (and other poultry). Have you checked out the Learning Center yet? It has a lot of good information in it. And of course, feel free to ask questions there are a lot of helpful, friendly members here.

Thanks for joining us!

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. KernH

KernH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2014
    Newman, Ca.
    I am in Newman just 12 miles south of you. I started with 8 chicks a little over a year ago, and now have 26. It is an addiction. Kern

6. jhhess

Aug 31, 2015
    Patterson, California
    Yes, it does seem to be addicting. Patterson has fairly strict rules concerning backyard chickens. The maximum number is six, but my coop needs to be 15 ft. from each property line and 10 feet from any structure. Since my backyard is rather narrow, my coop has to be on the smallish side. I'm starting with just two chickens, but when we retire we hope to move out of the city limits. How have you been keeping your flock cool the past few days? I was glad to see cooler weather today, but you never know when the 100+ weather will return.

Janis

BTW - I used to use the vet in Newman. G-N Veterinary, but since she sold out, I don't go there anymore.

7. KernH

KernH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2014
    Newman, Ca.
    I have two coops/pens. 13 in each. Every other day one group gets released from jail and has the run of my large backyard. The ones that are jailed have misters and a fan on them and lots of shade. I have mostly Marans, Ameraucanas, and Easter Eggers, and Olive Eggers. Kern

1 person likes this.
  8. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Since you have a narrow area for the coop, could you build a longer but, narrow coop to best accommodate your birds? Check out the coops section for many, types, sizes, etc of coops including tractor (portable) ones etc. Rule of thumb is 4-5 sq.feet per bird IN the coop excluding roosts and nest boxes and 10 sq. feet per bird in the outdoor run or yard.

10. jhhess

Aug 31, 2015
    Patterson, California
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes. I let the ladies out to free range yesterday and all went well. I'll be doing a lot more of this. They follow me around like puppies.

Janis

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by