New member from SW Washington

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lynnehd, Jan 10, 2015.

1. lynnehd

lynnehd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Hello!
    I do not have chickens yet, but I am loving the information on this site.

I have been analyzing my suburban yard (yes, we can have chickens, not roosters, per our city ordinances), to decide on the best site for my coop, and whether to build a permanent coop or have a mobile coop that can be moved depending on sun/shade.

What a resource this has been for me.
    Any insight from other PNW members would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Lynne

2. Petey119

Petey119 New Egg

Jan 10, 2015
    Hi Lynn, sort of new here myself, thought I had registered a couple of years ago but for some reason it didn't show me. LOL You're doing the smart thing by research first. Look at the different breeds as to what you might like. Everyone has their opinion as chickens have their own personalities. Keep in mind you climate as different breeds flourish better in some areas than others. I have a coop that is too heavy to move easily so I just let my birds go up at night then I turn them loose in the back yard. The problem with that is within the year I now have no grass so this spring I am going to sod and seed the back then put them in their pen for a few months . I will then regulate their out of cell block time. LOL

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you have a lot of predators in your area I recommend a well built full size coop and fenced run with cover, rather than a chicken tractor that is fairly easy for predators to dig under or flip over. People generally give up a certain area to the chickens - knowing it will be " bye bye " grass.

2 people like this.
  4. lynnehd

Jan 1, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Yes. I do plan to have a decent sized run (I decided on a permanent coop). I will let them free range several times per week also.
    The yard is fenced in.
    We have plenty of bugs. :O

It is kind of funny, because I have a few Russian tortoises who live outside in my backyard with the help of the floor of a green house and a 'tortoise run'.
    So I know about healthy weeds like chicory, etc., and have some knowledge of predator prevention. I never thought it would come in handy keeping chickens!

5. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Drumstick diva has given you some excellent advice. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any breed preference?

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

8. lynnehd

Jan 1, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Thank you, everyone!

As far as breed selection, I'm a softie about any animals that I keep. So I'm betting I won't be able to eat any of our chickens. Since they can live 15 years and produce for 2-3 years, that leaves me with a chicken retirement home, I guess. [​IMG]

Anyway, I don't have a huge yard, so I'm looking for decent egg layers who aren't too skittish.
    I have been looking at threads on here for more ideas.
    I do plan to get them as chicks.

I am certainly open to suggestions!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Based on your criteria, I would suggest one of the really docile breeds that lay well and have a well deserved reputation for being friendly, calm, and gentle, such as Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, Sussex, and Faverolles. All of these breeds are potential lap pets. Of the breeds on this list, Australorps are the best layers. A Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days.

1 person likes this.
  10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by