New member from up north!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gschmaltz, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Gschmaltz

Gschmaltz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2014
    North Dakota
    Hi my name is grace and I live up north where winters are long and cold. I had 4 geese and 9 ducks this summer and they had to be rehoused as we didn't have adequate shelter for them in the winter. They used to love to be held when they were younger but as they got older the hated to be touched. I'm looking to maybe get chickens instead this coming spring where we would hatch them in an incubator and raise them ourselves. I thought maybe finding someone near me to get some goose eggs to hatch instead. I'm here to help decide whether to try hatching chickens or geese. Which are friendlier? Easier to care for in winter? One thing that was hard to take care of our past ducks and geese was the water mess! Pros and cons of the two would be greatly appreciated and some suggested breeds

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would vote for chickens being easier to manage than ducks or geese. For one thing you wouldn't have all the water and mess. Are you considering any particular breeds? [​IMG]

3. Gschmaltz

Nov 29, 2014
    North Dakota
    I have heard a lot of good things about buff Orpingtons. But just things I read off of blogs

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you joined us.

I have no experience with domestic geese, but lots of wild ones in our area. I would definitely vote chickens given the choice.

I have 3 BO and they are easy to love, but all 3 have varied personalities. 2 of 3 go broody too often. 1 for extended sits, and the other for only a few days. the non-broody one is my love, and my favorite in a flock of 6 hens. If I had to start over, I would get BO again.

5. Gschmaltz

Nov 29, 2014
    North Dakota
    BO is buff Orpington right? Are they good in the winter?

6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Yes BO is Buff Orp. Reference sites list as cold hardy. They are large, fluffy gals, eggs are light brown - look pink to me - and all large to extra large. I'm in GA and our winters are much milder than yours, but last year at 5 F they acted like it was a summer day.

7. Gschmaltz

Nov 29, 2014
    North Dakota
    If I hatch them and handle them when they hatch do you think they will be nice that I could pet them and pick them up if I needed to? Do the roosters get mean?

8. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Whether you hatch them or get them from other sources, they will love you…you are the keeper of the treats.
    I have no roosters, only hens. But the breed characteristics and people who have BO roos tell that they are also easy to handle, friendly and friendly to the hens.

9. Gschmaltz

Nov 29, 2014
    North Dakota
    Ok thank you for the information! I think that I'm going to get the buff Orpingtons. Not going to get them till it warms up but in the mean time I'm going to find someone near me that might have some chicks this spring

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by