New member from upstate NY

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Shae7889, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Shae7889

Shae7889 New Egg

Apr 10, 2016
    My name is shae and I live in upstateNY. This is my first time raising chickens. My parents had them while I was growing up but I never wanted anything to do with them. I am a proud new chicken mama of 8 pullets. I am super nervous about them just like a new mom I'm up every two hours checking on them. My boyfriend thinks I'm a little bit crazy. I'm just so new and not sure what to do

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Shae

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on your new pullets :celebrate Having new birds can be a little daunting and your not alone, everyone here can help you along the way. The learning centre has some great articles that I'm sure you will find most useful, here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Be sure to ask any questions that you may have. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. Shae7889

Shae7889 New Egg

Apr 10, 2016
    Thank you so much!!! It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only nervous nelly out there

4. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

:hugs

Plenty of nervous nelly's out there I promise you, me included!! I still worry about new birds and new chicks, I've got some 4 day olds and some 2 week olds, I have to check on them 100 times a day!!

I'm sure you will be fine.

5. Shae7889

Shae7889 New Egg

Apr 10, 2016
    I feel like they sleep all day and are awake all night. is there something that i can do about that? my dad told me a white light will help to keep them awake during the day, tried it and it sort of works but not always and if one chick is awake they all tend to wake up (just like my own children).

6. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I use a red lamp out in the brooding shed but they have Windows so it's light in there during the day. They seem to know when it gets dark and snuggle down.
    In the house brooder I use a heating plate so when the lights are off and it's dark they go to bed all night.

Are yours able to see daylight and darkness?

7. Shae7889

Shae7889 New Egg

Apr 10, 2016
    yes, i open the curtain so they see daylight and are able to soak up some sun rays. when it is bed time i cover the top of their brooder with a blanket(not the whole thing because of the heat lamp) and close the curtain. they usually sleep until like 2 am then its all peeping and running around.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Shae, stay calm - Backyard chickens is here. What breeds did you get, and how old are they now.?They sound like healthy, active chicks to me. Much, much better than ones that are lethargic. They are a lot like human babies. I remember in the beginning my son just slept most of the day. Then he started being up longer and I had to think of things to entertain him with other than just changing his diaper. The older your chicks get, the easier they are bored with just eating, sleeping, pooing.

You can give them some safe things to do in the brooder., like a small branch they can practice getting up and down. A small brightly colored ball - they can push. They like building blocks too and will hop around on them.

9. Shae7889

Shae7889 New Egg

Apr 10, 2016
    They are roughly 2 weeks old. I bought them from tractor supply.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by