New member from Utah

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cressrb, Oct 23, 2010.

1. cressrb

cressrb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Hello ~ I have been reading reading reading all about chickens and coops for the last 5 days. It is addicting.
    I have never raised chickens. I know nothing. I love looking at the chicken varieties at the fair. I live in the
    city and plan on starting with only layers and only a few for my enjoyment. I want to get a good looking
    coop that is easy to clean and not offensive to my neighbors. I am still undecided as to what breed, but I
    know I do not want an nondescript breed but one I can be proud of.
    Because of the time of year, is it possible to ship?
    I am open to any suggestions or ideas.
    I love this forum.
    Thanks,
    Bonnie Cresse
    SLC, UT

2. eggboy

eggboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    [​IMG] I would suggest you get Amauracaunas or EE's they Lay blue or green eggs.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Welcome from an imp in Washington

Have fun getting chickens

Imp

4. 2many2count

2many2count Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Hello there...
    I have to agree americauna chickens would be nice to see with all the variety of colors. The green and blue eggs are a definite plus to them.....same egg just diff shell. Good luck with getting you few chickens.

5. Little Hummingbird

Little Hummingbird Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2010
    :)Hi Bonnie,
    Welcome!! I am a new egg as well and have several different breeds. I live in Cedar City Ut and the EE's do very well for me. They are hardy and the snow does not seem to bother them. Beautiful large eggs and they lay longer into the fall than my others

Enjoy
    Celeste

6. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    welcome. i am new too and i live in west jordan [​IMG] from what i have read and the people i talk to say that rhode island reds do well here and lay eggs like crazy and lay in winter too. i my self plan to get 5 of them [​IMG]

7. cressrb

Oct 18, 2010
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Hello Birdman,
    Do you have any chickens now? Is fall and OK time to get new chickens? Will you buy adults or hatch your own?
    All I have read about RIR, their hardiness in cold climates and egg laying abilities sound like what I want, but then
    on so many sites I read how mean they can be. I want a docile easy hen. I am still uncertain which way to go.
    Bonnie

8. cressrb

Oct 18, 2010
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Hi Celeste,
    How long have you been raising chickens? Where did you get your EE's?
    What kind of coop do you have? I have been thinking about getting the Eglu as
    I don't plan on breeding, but just keeping a few. I still have a lot of reading to do.
    I'm unsure if I should jump into it now or wait until Spring.
    Bonnie

9. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    Quote:i don't have chickens now but i plan to get adult rirs in the spring. from what i read it is a mixed bag on if they are mean or not, like people, they can be mean and some will be nice. i am still planing my coop and have what i want in mind but that can change lol. if i could i would get them now but that is not going to happen [​IMG] now is a good time to buy them because people are selling some of theirs to make room in their coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by