1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member from Utah

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Marvel, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Marvel

Marvel New Egg

Dec 19, 2014
    I am excited to find some others who raise chickens in healthy ways. I have been raising chickens for about 5-6 years. We live in Northern Utah and own an organic small farm, almost two acres, and raise almost all our own fruits, berries, veg., bees, and goats for milk. Preserving much of our produce for winter, giving lots away as well.
    Our goal is to be self sufficient. We work hard all spring, summer and fall, and rest, sort of, in the winter. We have a greenhouse so we grow food in the winter too.
    We spent 18 months in Thailand and we have been home 6 months. In Thailand I taught organic gardening because they use so much pesticides on their produce.
    I teach classes on healing the body through proper food, herbs and natural healing, and learning how to read the body's signals to interpret cravings, symptoms, and deficiencies.
    That's all that might be interesting. The rest about me is pretty boring:/

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. It sounds like you live a very healthy lifestyle. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in becoming self-sufficient. What kind of chickens do you have?

3. Marvel

Marvel New Egg

Dec 19, 2014
    I have Wyandot, Australope, Sex-Link, buff Orpington and Rhode Is. Red. Next year I will get White Leghorns. The newest are Sex-Link. The others are older. I try to get 4-5 of the same kind each spring so I can remember how old they are[​IMG]. I am very interested in growing fodder for my chickens for winter and was interested in someone else's experience.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've had all of those breeds (technically sex links are hybrids and not breeds) over the years and you have some very good layers. Australorps are excellent layers and sex links are egg laying machines. Are your sex links Black Sex Links or Red Sex Links?

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Welcome, so glad you decided to join us.

[​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock!

7. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

8. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    [​IMG]

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens