New member from Værløse, Denmark :)

Hesher357

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Hello everyone, wanted to say hi and share our newly built garden hen house. I am originally from Southern California and currently living in Denmark for the last 3 years with my Danish girlfriend.

My girlfriend and I just completed this hønsehus last weekend and are loving our 5 girls ... Three "ISA-Warren" (ISA- Brown) and two "Tværstribet Skovhøne" (I think the must come from Barred Plymouth Rock not exactly sure yet)

Looking forward to using this site along with a Danish forum for all our BYC needs
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Hello everyone, wanted to say hi and share our newly built garden hen house. I am originally from Southern California and currently living in Denmark for the last 3 years with my Danish girlfriend.

My girlfriend and I just completed this hønsehus last weekend and are loving our 5 girls ... Three "ISA-Warren" (ISA- Brown) and two "Tværstribet Skovhøne" (I think the must come from Barred Plymouth Rock not exactly sure yet)

Looking forward to using this site along with a Danish forum for all our BYC needs
thumbsup.gif
welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC!! Your coop is simply beautiful!

images

Welcome to BYC!

What an adorable little coop!! Your birds will be very comfortable in their new home.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! What a beautiful coop and run, good luck with your new hens, hope they lay lots of eggs for you!

Thank you all for the warm welcomes ... my first questions are for those of you that have suburban backyard chickens in a setup similar to mine.

Our hens are getting tame and come to us when we have food which is great but we want to be able to let them out into our yard when we are home and supervising them ... my questions are:

1. How long should I have them before I can let them roam around a little?
2. How do you manage them; ge them back to the run when I want them in again?
3. Should I clip thier wings and can you direct me to a procedure for this?

Thanks in advance for your help, I attached a Picture of our yard, there will be a short fence where the driveway is and there is a hedge behind me where I took this picture with a small chicken fence so they can't run under it.

I appreciate any and all advice
big_smile.png

Sincerly,
Jim

Last edited:
You can let them out at any time now. Generally they don't stray too far at first and they won't just run away. But they may start to get comfortable and want to range further. So I would always supervise so you don't lose them. Clipping one wing can help keep them more grounded, but it also makes them less able to get away from predators. When you are ready to get them back into the run, shake can of seeds, or rattle a bag of mealworms or show them their favorite treats and they will come running.

You have a lovely yard with the coop and all! Looks like spring has definitely come to your territory!

Back
Top Bottom