New member from Washington State

bluemeander

Hatching
May 25, 2016
Washington
Hi there. I've come to this forum any time I had a question or needed info ever since I first started raising chickens over a year ago. I finally decided that I should probably join up because I was always coming here so much.

I'm a 30 something person who loves birds, especially dorky little chickens. I've been an artist for lots of years but have recently started to go back to school to work in med tech. I was raised with chickens around, but never took the task on myself as an adult until recently. It's been a pretty satisfying experience (and great eggs don't hurt either!)

My family and I started our flock with some Rhode Island Reds, Araucanas, Speckled Sussex, and White Leghorns. We also had a Cayuga duck and what was supposed to be a Blue Indian Runner duck and was maybe more just a mystery duck. She had a giant fluff on top of her head that looked like her brain on the outside so we called her "Pompaduck". Unfortunately, last month, the neighbor's dogs tore through our defenses and killed all but one duck and one chicken. It was a terrible thing and actually really caught me by surprise because I didn't know dogs could do something like that! Clearly I've learned now, but I wonder if I might have known about the possibility if I'd been on the forum before. This is certainly a place where anything that could happen can be found here, along with advice, so maybe I'd have known to be wary of the dogs from the get-go. I suppose I'm hoping to be more proactive and more educated about chickens and backyard farming by getting onto the forums here.

The neighbors are compensating us for our losses and have built a whole new fence for their house and we are installing a whole new setup. A friend (who has recently suffered some hungry forest predators on her farm) said her friends are donating eggs for the two of us to help us get back on our feet and build up a flock again. I'm really looking forward to getting to hold some baby chicks again and am very excited about the kindness and generosity of other chicken enthusiasts.

: ) Nice to meet you all!

Apparently a lot of folks don't know that dogs (and cats) can be major predators. Some start out innocently enough wanting to play with the birds. They see them as squeaky toys.
They grab one and when it stops squeaking(dead) they go and chase more. Others are just dogs running free (neighbors just don't care) and they kill for fun and sport. I never realized how common that was till I started greeting new members. MANY newbies report having their own pets, slaughter their chicks. Even toy breeds like yorkies, Chihuahuas and doxies can be the most ruthless killers. Since then I usually tell people to make sure that their dogs/cats NEVER meet their chickens. You never hear of a chicken killing a cat or dog.

I'm glad your neighbor wants to do something - hopefully to prevent another incident. But most people think "they are just chickens," - no big deal. They are a big deal and many times are major pets and it is heartbreaking to lose them in this fashion.

You may want to check out the Predator threads on BYC, to learn how to safeguard your birds as much as possible.

PS Welcome to Backyard chickens. You may want to join your state thread. Just put Washington in the search box and it will take you there. LOADS of Bycers there.

Hi and welcome to BYC. Sorry for your losses and i hope that you will be back on your feet with your flock in no time!

Best wishes
CT

Back
Top Bottom