New Member from Western New York

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LindenLiving, Jan 12, 2011.

1. LindenLiving

LindenLiving Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Hi....I just go my girls for my birthday in November. I have been trying to get chickens for the last four years but I finally convinced my hubby that I really wanted them. Hubby helped my son and I build my chicken coop from an old playset. He was laid up from shoulder surgery so he was our structural engineer and my son and I were the labor force. My daughter helped as well so we had a great time putting this thing together. I originally had six Buff-Orpingtons, but one got killed by my dog who dug a hole under the fence just big enough for the chicken to put her head through and well, you can guess the rest. So just before Christmas my daughter and husband surprised me with two Easter Eggers. Unfortunately, one of the new chickens was not well received by the rest and became a pecking board. Before long I had to remove her and I had planned on returning her to my sister-in-laws farm were they came from; unfortunately, the "secured" container I had moved her into was not secure enough. My chocolate lab somehow got to her and again, you know the rest of the story. Well I am back to having to having six girls, which must be the magic number as they are happy and healthy. I have learned not to give my lab any chance at my chickens and to always double check every door and avenue that might be of interest to him. Not sure if I will add to the flock as I did want to raise meat birds, but for sure these original girls will have a good life!
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.
  3. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
  4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

[​IMG] from Mississippi
  5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad joined. [​IMG]
  6. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    [​IMG] from Ohio

Recovering from A-C separation in right shoulder surgery myself. No fun at all, been laid up, so to speak, for the last two months since the accident happened. Surgery was two weeks ago, stitches come out tomorrow.
  7. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    [​IMG] say hi on the NY thread there's more of us out there than you think [​IMG]
  8. MrsPinkKitty

MrsPinkKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
  9. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

[​IMG] from Owego, NY!
  10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by