New Member from WV

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by globug44203, Dec 5, 2011.

1. globug44203

globug44203 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    Hi Everyone, My name is Gloria and I just joined your BackYardChickens Forum today...I am in the process of raising chickens...We bought 7 special Red hens and 1 rooster...I fell in love with them and then on Monday our next door neighbors dog broke into the coop while we were gone and killed all but 1 hen...I was and am so distraught over this and need suggestions on how to secure our coop so that this doesn't ever happen again with the 14 peeps that we have incubated and hatched and our hand raising....We thought everything was so secure but I guess it wasn't....We were so worried about a bear that lives in the area, never in our wildest thoughts did we think that the neightbors dog would be the couprit....We have dog fence 8 ft high around the lot and keep both doors to the coop secured at night....So what have we did wrong ???? I never want to see that kind of sight again...I have been looking at all the coop designs on line and ours is way better design that they are and my husband has even put up insulation and electric in the coop now...Thanks so much for all the help and reading this....[​IMG]

2. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York. So sorry for your loss. Do you know how he got past the fence?

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello and welcome! So sorry about your flock......Hugs to you!

I'm guessing that you may have had chicken wire around your chicken coop/run......Hardware cloth is what you should get, as predators can really just rip that chicken wire apart....

Again, so sorry to hear about your flock......

Take care,

Sharon

6. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    Welcome to BYC from Pennsylvania!

7. littleluciex

littleluciex Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Wauchula
    Welcome to BYC, how is your coop set up? That will help with perhaps some suggestions.

8. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Sorry about your chickens.

Imp

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble