1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member has problem with chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rdaddario, Nov 30, 2008.

1. rdaddario

rdaddario New Egg

Nov 30, 2008
    Hello, my name is Richard and my wife, Cindy, have had chickens for six or seven years with limited success. We have them for the beautiful eggs they usually lay. We now have 10 hens and one rooster, most of them born in March 2008.

Up until a month or so ago they were laying eggs, although not as frequently as we expected, and the rooster was crowing and doing his rooster thing. Recently, however, we have had no eggs, and I can't tell you how long ago the rooster last crowed or was seen on the back of one of his hens.

Can someone help me with this situation? We have not changed their living environment or their feed and they have the run of the back yard which they like.

I know that they usually lay less in winter, but this total drought is unusual. Plus the rooster's behavior is puzzling.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Hey, and [​IMG]!!

What type of hens? Some lay better in winter than others. And, are they moulting?

3. rdaddario

rdaddario New Egg

Nov 30, 2008
    They are Rhode Island Reds. Right now they are not molting.

Richard

4. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

[​IMG]

Just curious, are teh same chickens and roo youve had for 7ish years? if so, they may be nearing the end of any productive cycles. Just a thought

5. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    My thoughts exactly, Kim, I don't know anything about the rooster behavior (can't have one [​IMG]), but the chickens will naturally lessen how much they lay in the winter.

I use supplemental light in the hen house for my girls and they are still laying 2-3 eggs per day for the three of them.

It definitely depends on the breed. So what do you have? [​IMG]

6. rdaddario

rdaddario New Egg

Nov 30, 2008
    The breed is Rhode Island Reds. They are NOT the same flock we've had for 7 years, as we have lost many over the years to various predators. Nine of the hens were born in March 2008.

We have presented various laying opportunities in the form of nesting boxes, both in the coop and outside. But, the only somewhat consistent layer has been nesting under a overturned wheelbarrow. The others walk around about a 1-acre area all day long, eating and scratching and dusting - but, we have looked everywhere and they are simply not laying. In fact, they do not even crouch anymore when I attempt to pick them up. This is not just a winter occurrence as they have not been laying all summer.

Also, the rooster was born in March '08. At first, he was crowing and mounting the hens. Now nothing!

We are perplexed!!!

Could this be a disease?

7. UrbanChickenMama

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Has there been any sort of recent traumatic event? Could be a move, change in routine, feed, illness (recovered or not), attack by predators, etc...

8. rdaddario

rdaddario New Egg

Nov 30, 2008
    We frequently have hawks flying about and we did lose one hen to a predator about 1 month ago. Head only was taken - unlikely for a hawk attack.

Illness? Not that we've noticed.

Move/ change of routine? Nothing.

Has anyone ever had a problem with this?

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    What are you using for feed?

10. UrbanChickenMama

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I'm new to this forum -- as of yesterday! -- but in my experience with another forum, you might get more answers if you posted under another topic like - Chicken Behavior and Laying.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by