New member, hatching chicks...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by newchicmamaTama, Mar 14, 2016.

1. newchicmamaTama

newchicmamaTama New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Hi,
    My 9 year old daughter is building an incubator and attempting to hatch chicks (I think we'll try Trader Joe-- if we can get within a week of packing) and also order some (any suggestions for near Los Angeles?) for a science fair project. I did this at her age, and she's excited to see if she'll be successful.
    Tamara

2. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015
    it's pretty great idea. you can get programmable thermometers for $4 and humidity switches for the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i got these on ebay. one is 5v one is 12v and you just put them between the power supply and the heater or the fan in the case of humidity. You have container with water in it and a fan to blow air in and out of it for humidity. the whole container goes inside the incubator. If you're not using a styrofoam box, try an old fridge. It works the best of all.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Lots of folks build their own - I believe there is a thread for DIU incubators, you could try the search box to see if I am correct. There is also a thread devoted to folks who did hatch Trader Joes eggs. I think the eggs have to say 'fertile' on the box. I know the TJ's around us do not carry them.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC Tamara. You've already got some good pointers, so I'll just say a big hello and the best of luck with your daughters incubator!

CT

5. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Tamara, best wishes for good luck to your daughter with her project!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] best of luck with the science project!

8. newchicmamaTama

newchicmamaTama New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Thanks guys. All this is so very helpful. We're just trying to keep temp regulated. Humidity is not so hard. Just the temp. We're using a cooler. We don't have an old fridge. I hooked the light bulb to a dimmer to try an control the wattage plus we have a vent. We built 2, yes, following instructions online. We have an industrial stength (bigger and thicker) and a smaller thinner cooler, too. Both are styrofoam. We cut out plexi windows in each (sealed w/ duct tape), plus we have the fans and digi thermometers w/ humidity gauges. The larger one has a outside tube for adding water to the small bowl with the sponge inside to keep the incubator moist and a ceiling fan vent that opens and closes via a lever, that's sealed tight around the edges w/ duct tape. Although it's more high tech and prettier looking, the larger cooler seems harder to hold temp. I think because it's walls are much thicker. Even the plexiglass window is a little sturdier.
    The temp isn't awful. It's off by a few degrees. It spikes of course we we open the top. We put 3 thermometers in. Then in the back neat the bulb and fan, it's a little hotter 100-102 the middle the front can run 98-101 and the front 97-101. It will hold at these temps fairly steady. But, If all the vents are shut and you're not careful it can spike to 112.

I need to put the eggs in today, or they won't hatch in time...

9. hennypenney

hennypenney Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Galt, CA
    Welcome and good luck! What a fun project!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by