New Member help needed

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by allentaylor72, Dec 13, 2016.

1. allentaylor72

allentaylor72 New Egg

Dec 13, 2016
    Hi al, i am from eastbourne south of the UK.

I have joined, as i am concerned for our 2 bantams, which disappeared sometime after 4pm on Sunday, and have not been seen or heard since.

Our garden is very secure, and we have had these for 6 years nearly now.
    Sunday afternoon, we put some lights in the fir tree in our back garden, and we saw them both sat there on the patio, they both have free roam of the garden.

On this sunday, both of forgot to lock the chickens up but usually they go back to there house and climb into the closed part of it, and they are fine.

On the monday, i went out to give them there food, and they were nowhere to be seen.
    There is no sign of any struggle like if they had been attacked by a fox or something.
    I have searched every single inch of our garden, and even now resorted to searching the neighbours back gardens also.

Not a single sighting of them at all.

I am hoping tomorrow being a sunny day, which may get them to move out into the open a little, and be spotted.

My worry is that they have both got themselves stuck somewhere, and cannot get out.

Is it possible a seagull can attack and kill a chicken? Seems strange that both of them have vanished at the same time.

Any help or suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] sorry for the circumstances. Sadly my gut says that they were very likely taken by a fox. Fox can readily scale a 6' wall or fence, grab a bird and take off leaving little or no evidence. Hopefully they will reappear tomorrow.

3. allentaylor72

allentaylor72 New Egg

Dec 13, 2016
    but 2 of them, and not a single sound ? We have 2 dogs who bark at the slightest sounds. From here to the woodland, the fox would have to scale 5 6ft fences. This is the only thing making me think not

But i do have that n my head... maybe he took one and came back for the other .... i have read they can leave no evidence what so ever.. So heartbreaking.

I think the reason we forgot to shut them up is because we both have flu right now, so went to bed early... I know not an excuse really..

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hunger is a strong force. Seriously hope that I am wrong. A seagull is definitely not your culprit.

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Aaaw gees allentaylor72 I am so sorry that you are going through this.

I do not think that a seagull would attack and kill a chicken.

Do not give up hope … I have read many stories of chickens coming out of hiding after a couple of days. They were thought to be taken by a predator but just managed to hide very well.

You worrying about them being stuck could be valid. Again, I read about a chicken stuck in a vine and another one stuck behind a fridge when she escaped a predator.

Definitely keep checking and check absolutely everywhere that a chicken can squeeze into; even if it seems silly that she would hide there.

Just yesterday one of my girls got a fright and in her panic ended up squished under the BBQ, somewhere she would never usually go. Had I not seen her go under there, I would never have found her unless she came out by herself.

I so hope you find them [​IMG]

6. allentaylor72

allentaylor72 New Egg

Dec 13, 2016
    ok, i only ask, becuase monday morning, the seagulls were going mad, there was about 30 or so of them. But monday was also bin collection day.

I have set a Camera up outside to film on motion, pointing at the chicken coop. I am sure if it was a fox, they would be back again to check for more..

7. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry to hear of your missing birds, I hope they turn up soon.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] so sorry hope they turn up. Any chance "human" predators might have taken them? Seagulls will even attack human babies in a stroller. I've seen the neighborhood fox leap fences with the greatest of ease.

9. allentaylor72

allentaylor72 New Egg

Dec 13, 2016
    Well here today it is blue skies and sunshine perfect weather they would be happily clucking away enjoying the sunshine.
    Have been out several times shaking there food but nothing.. NO sounds no sightings.
    Have now posted flyers through all the neighbours doors.
    To be honest I have lived here for 4 years now and have never seen a fox anywhere round here.
    Although last night when I was looking around I saw around huge barn owl circling around in the skies.

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and my warmest welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you decided to join the community and I do hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by