1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member here,hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jetmech873, Oct 6, 2015.

1. jetmech873

jetmech873 New Egg

Oct 6, 2015
    Hey yall, I'm retired Navy living in OKC. I started out with a few hens in the same pen with a couple goats and ducks. Now I have gotten rid of the goats and have 16 hens and a duck. Here lately some have started molting and I haven't received a single egg in 3 weeks. I am also in the process of building a new coop with new nesting boxes so I figured the new construction could be freaking them out as well. Do you think I should get rid of the duck also? He seems to be a jerk at times to my ladies. I have several questions so I will check out the forums. All my chickens are different breeds and colors so I don't really know them by name yet. I just want eggs eggs and more eggs!

2. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome sailor! [​IMG] Thank you for your service! I can't help you with the duck question,. but there are some very active duck threads. Here's a link https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=duck+thread. Feel free to start a thread there with your question.
    If hens are molting and you're under construction, and the duck is being a jerk, that would explain no eggs.
    There are several things you can do to promote egg laying. Have a look around egg laying and behavior too. Like lighting to extend the egg laying. (won't work if they're in a molt) https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying
    You can also type any subject into the search bar, like "lighting" etc
    Very best of luck to you and I hope you enjoy the site!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If your duck is a drake (male) he will try and breed your chicken hens - duck anatomy is very different than chickens. A drake breeding a chicken hen can damage her severely or kill her in the attempt. It would be best if you rehomed the duck, or got him some female ducks to keep him happy.

4. MadamPoofyBrow

MadamPoofyBrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2015
    X2 drumstick, a drake can stress out hens. I'd get him some girls, he'd pick them over the chickens but if he's only got chickens he'll try it anyway. If your duck's a hen, then she's just a jerk, and I'd try to rehome her for your chickens' sake...

5. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

x3

6. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    [​IMG] from Louisiana!

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Chickens don't lay while molting and that can last a while. It sounds like the general consensus on the duck is to re-home him or get him some female duck girlfriends. Good luck with your coop build. If you have any questions, always feel free to ask.

Thanks for joining us and thank you for your service in the Navy!

8. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by