New member here. Parker, Colorado

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by crystall, Jan 26, 2016.

1. crystall

crystall New Egg

Jan 26, 2016
    Colorado
    Question; i'm less than year in on owning chickens. I'm still learning. My question is why would a hen (who had laid a egg 10 minutes before)kick a hen out of a nest box....while trying to lay a egg? The smaller hen is lowest in the pecking order. And boy did she squak and holler. Any ideas?

2. Dianacatz

Dianacatz Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and welcome to BYC. I would suggest posting this question in one of the other forms. I am not a big chicken expert so can't answer your question.

Regards,
    Diana

3. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    [​IMG] I'm glad you decided to join us!! Lol, sounds like one of the hens was jealous [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like the bully doesn't want any chickens in her nest box. Or possibly, she is gearing up to go broody and starting to lay a stash of eggs.

1 person likes this.
  5. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. I had a hen go broody for two months. She was so cute, but it was hard to get her to come out of it. That would be my guess, as to why she's behaving that way.

1 person likes this.
  6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC! i think that DD theories are on the money. Some chickens are just plain nutters! [​IMG]

all the best
    CT

7. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I would also suggest broodiness as the possible cause. Even the mildest chicken can turn into a raging Godzilla when they are broody. Is she sitting in the box a lot?

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by