New member here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Just Pam, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Just Pam

Just Pam New Egg

Sep 9, 2016
    Hi everyone! I'm from Arkansas and just getting started. Was expecting 6 chicks this morning, got 11!!!!!! Got my hands full now.:):):)

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Just Pam, and :welcome. Pleased you joined our flock. I take it your chicks came through the mail? If so, something to keep in mind. If you ordered jatcheries often toss in surplus males as a way to pare down their stock as most people order hen chicks. Some people do not want/cannot keep roosters for a variety of reasons, others have no problem with the "bonus" birds. Also, if you have more than one rooster and the rest are ladies, they will soon become overbred...missing feathers on their backs from repeated matings, plus the hens tend to get a little nervous with all the boys after them. Just a word of caution if they are indeed cockerels. Also, as a beginner you might want to check out the Learning Center here https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    It will gives you a lot of great information for raising a happy, healthy flock! Best of luck and enjoy the adventure!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us and congrats on your new babies.

Twice as many as expected, you should evaluate your brooder size to make sure you can accommodate all.

x2 on the probable roosters - IMO best to plan for them and start looking for rehoming issues to be prepared.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some people like the free extra roos, so they can eat them.

6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello and welcome to BYC!

7. Just Pam

Just Pam New Egg

Sep 9, 2016
    Thanks for the warm welcome. The chicks are doing great! I found if you just lay your hand down in the box they will get nosey and come and crawl in your palm, I had four at one time! I'll get a pic soon!

8. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    :frow Hi, and welcome to BYC!

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by