New Member Here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Shadyapex, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Shadyapex

Shadyapex In the Brooder

Mar 17, 2019
    Bishop, CA
    I all, I'm a new member but I have had chickens before. I had a flock a few years ago and life's complications have kept me from replacing it for the last few years.
    Now I want to get about a half dozen hens and have built a nice coop and fenced yard for the girls.
    Previously I had a couple of Barred Rocks, a Rhode Island Red, and a Golden Sex Link.
    I'm currently thinking of getting some Orpingtons as I want a want an easy to handle, dual purpose steady layer but I'm open to suggestions.
    I live in Bishop, CA (points if you know where that is; Hint, it's more akin to Nevada than any other part of CA).
    Also I'm having trouble finding Orpingtons locally so any suggestions for sources of chicks or pullets would be appreciated, especially if they're near enough that it doesn't cost $200 to ship.
    I'm retired, keep a big veggie garden and want my own eggs again.
    I've surfed this site a bit over the years and have found that there's a great deal of knowledge here that I'd like to avail myself of. Looking forward to getting to know the folks here that share the interest. Cheers, Steve,,,,,,,,

2. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Wildlife Biologist

May 4, 2014
    Newberry, Indiana
    :yesss: :welcome :yesss:
    Miss Piggy Sue says, “Welcome to our eggcelent flock here at BYC!”

CFB78E27-0DA8-4C96-B9CF-C000982575F5.jpeg

3. Shadyapex

Shadyapex In the Brooder

Mar 17, 2019
    Bishop, CA
    Thanks, and that's a very odd looking chicken.

4. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Wildlife Biologist

May 4, 2014
    Newberry, Indiana
    Oh I’ve got tons of birds too!

2A7C3BC2-F45E-4922-9A9A-A6920AEE5C0C.jpeg F804F723-2CD1-4C5A-B9C9-CE5F5A4A64BC.jpeg 21478D50-59EE-4547-BBCD-8D8F63FFA5EE.jpeg

5. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join us! :welcome

6. MysticUniKitty

MysticUniKitty Songster

Mar 2, 2019
    North Texas,Collin County
    :welcome Welcome!

I've found orpingtons through facbook groups gor my area... that's a good place to start! Also look up near by farms or hatcheries you can "order" a local pick up batch then and skip the crazy shipping fee.
    Hope you find some cute fuzzballs soon! :D

7. Shadyapex

Shadyapex In the Brooder

Mar 17, 2019
    Bishop, CA
    Thanks, but I live in a very remote area and haven't found Orpingtons yet. I can get the usual breeds from my feed store but not Orpingtons. But I'll talk to them again on Monday, the weekend crew didn't really know what they could do.

8. MysticUniKitty

MysticUniKitty Songster

Mar 2, 2019
    North Texas,Collin County
    Word of mouth is great for passing along that you are searching for a breed. Our feed store let's us post "ads" on a certain bulletin board. Also find out who is the best chick worker and when they might be around to ask questions. That's how I've gotten a ton of help with coop construction! I can understand being out in a rural area! We're crzy far out in the "boonies" we're still part of the Dallas metroplex but we're so far to the edge that it takes forever to get anywhere.

9. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens Steve hope you can find some look in the state thread or ask there

10. BirdsBeesTrees

BirdsBeesTrees Songster

Mar 10, 2019
    Iowa
    Orpington are nice birds. I chose Black Astralorps as my first flock 11 years ago. My favorites right now are Speckled Sussex and Salmon Faverolle they let you pick them up and are very sweet birds. So many sweet nice bird breeds to pick from, I hope you find some good ones. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: