New member, Hi!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lmcelroy, Mar 19, 2018.

1. lmcelroy

lmcelroy In the Brooder

Mar 2, 2018
    Hello all,
    I'm happy to be a new member of this wonderful learning community!
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I am new to chicken-keeping, my chicks came home with me 3 weeks ago at one day old.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 5 right now; I understand this means I will probably end up with 10.

(3) What breeds do you have? 3 Buffs and 2 Barred Rocks

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? I came upon BYC while doing research for my coop.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Retired from academia, I am now a full time antiques dealer, gardener, and old house restorer (mine that is!)

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. My wonderful, formerly reluctant husband, now says "thank you for bringing the chicks into our lives"! I have a very affectionate female Lab; 2 grown "children" that have flown the coop (sorry!)

I look forward to the benefit of all your knowledge and experience, it has already been sooo helpful!

Teila, KikisGirls, Plip and 6 others like this.
  2. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    :frow

buchstaben_W.gif buchstaben_E.gif buchstaben_L.gif buchstaben_C.gif buchstaben_O.gif buchstaben_M.gif buchstaben_E.gif
    buchstaben_T.gif buchstaben_O.gif
    buchstaben_B.gif buchstaben_Y.gif buchstaben_C.gif buchstaben_callsign.gif

3. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

4. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    Alt-WELCOME-farmer-connie-1.gif

It is great having you here!

Enjoy retirement!

5. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    :frowHello and welcome to BYC!
    Congratulations on your new chicks!

6. R3bauer

R3bauer Songster

Nov 9, 2013
    Dubuque, Iowa
    :welcome
    This is a great site and a wealth of knowledge is available. Just try not to get overwhelmed and enjoy it!

7. Sue S

Sue S Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Pa
    Welcome, Yes this is a great place to be I've learned so much by being on this site, hope you will too. :welcome

8. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

I like this answer on your intro, "5 right now; I understand this means I will probably end up with 10." It sounds like you've been made aware of chicken math :D

Glad you're enjoying the flock, thanks for joining us!

9. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    Great to have you here! Welcome!

10. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    :welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here !

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/)
    It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/) Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

One last thing, if you're into gardening, feel free to join this years SEED SWAP (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-swap.1220129/)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: