New Member--Hi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tamilulu, May 13, 2011.

1. Tamilulu

Tamilulu Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Capron, Virginia
    My name is Tammie Wilson. I was looking to an answer to a question online and came across your board. I get the magazine, but never thought to join..it's a good idea I never thought through :0)

I am going to answer the template questions but my question is :(and I saw replies to a similar question in 2008, but did not apply) I have a chick that I hatched myself. I do not have any bantams, although there are several breeds it could be mixed with (jersey giants, americauna, rhode island reds, and cuckoo marans) BUT this one chick will not grow. The others have gone from the brooder to the outdoor 10 x 10 pen and are about to graduate to the outer free-range yard--this one little chick stays in the brooder and has seen another batch come and go. I forget the dates exactly but the chick must be at least a month old...same size as day-olds. Has some feathers but not all. Ive neverhad this happen, does it just happen sometimes??

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I have had guineas for about 8 years. I now have chickens as well. Also, a few ducks, geese, and turkeys.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Not exactly sure 20ish full grown, 20+ chicks

(3) What breeds do you have? cuckoo maran, ri reds, jersey giant, turken, americauna, toulousse geese, rouen & peking ducks, and started with royal palm turkeys but wild turkeys have infiltrated my breed--I have mutt turkeys.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? searching online

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Mostly the birds---LOVE them

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I rescue saint bernards, and have only ever had to return one as a bird killer. Saints and chickens get along just fine. Im a teacher and love my summers free to mess with my flocks. Look forward to collaborating with y'all!!

2. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio! You will love it here-it is a great place to be! I have never had that happen with one of my chicks, but some of mine have grown slower than others.

3. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Yes, it just happens. Usually it is "Failure to thrive" syndrom. Basically, there is something wrong inside the chick that doesn't allow it to thrive and grow. I had one recently, it seemed healthy, just small. Then one day, it just died. If your little baby continues to live, then eventually, it will need to go out with others that are larger than its self. Most likely, it will not survive though. I wish you luck. [​IMG]

4. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    [​IMG]

5. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Tamilulu

Tamilulu Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Capron, Virginia
    Thank you. Over the years I have learned not to bond too much with chickens---circle of life----owls and raccoons oh my. But a few really get to you. Im kinda getting attached to this little guy or gal since he's been on my front porch so long. And is a comic when he tries to attack my hand every day when I feed him (must be a male haha) I'll be sad if he passes but thanks for the answer. It makes sense. There was a small power outage during his incubation and all the others were fine--guess he took it harder than they did.

Thanks again!
    Tam

7. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! You have come to the coolest place on the internet for chicken knowledge.

I started with chickens last summer and the people of BYC have been great. This year I have tried hatching and buying chicks for even more chickeny joy. Please visit my BYC Page for my blog links that you may find informative or amusing.

Good luck with the runt.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    [​IMG] from CA!!! [​IMG]

10. Imp