New Member in AZ

mxw1090

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 13, 2012
Hi,

Just joined. I've been planning to get chickens for a while and every time I look for info I get directed here. Seems to be a lot of great information. Picked up 6 3 day old chicks a week ago. 3 ameracuna and 3 barred rocks. Built a booder for them in to storage/work room, will be building a coop this weekend, but they will not be in the coop for a couple months. I'm considering getting a couple laying hens since now that I have the chicks, I'm getting impatient and don't want to wait 5 months or so for eggs. they will only be in the coop until they get used to it, then free range. Have an area abou 1/4 acre that is fenced to keep my 2 steers out. they will get that area until I'm sure my dogs have learned the chickens are off-limits. then they will have a full acre to roam. Slowly building my mini farm. Keep 2 steers, get a new bottle calf each year, raised 2 pigs last winter, planning on getting 2 more after christmas, Plan to get a rooster eventually so we can let some of them hatch. Love having all the animals around.

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome from Arkansas. Have fun with your farm!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Add a vegetable patch and you are sorted! Have fun!

I've just signed up myself and I'm in Prescott AZ. Have only four hens at the moment, which keeps me in eggs, but I'm looking for pullets. Do you know a hatchery in AZ? Im really also interested in learning about raising a calf for meat. Ive looked into buying a cow or part of one from a ranch at about $7 per lb. Wonder if I could raise one for less. I have about 3/4 acre fenced. Could you tell me a little about raising a calf? Feed costs, daily time commitment, slaughter age, etc. Id really like to learn all about it.

What ever you can volunteer would be much appreciated.

Ethan

Back
Top Bottom