New member in Boone, NC

blackbrit

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
Hi - I am a new member from Boone, which is in Western NC, very close to the VA and TN borders. I think we are in zone 6, so we sometimes get down to -14 (that's the lowest I remember.)

About a year ago we moved a little further out of town and now live on just under 1 acre of south facing meadow with a little copse of trees.

I've wanted ducks, Indian Runners, for years and years; at least 15. But as my parents have gotten older I've felt a greater need to leave my home in the East whenever I can, and take my now 11 year old daughter to spend time with her aging Grandma and Grandpa in the Pacific Northwest. Any NW's probably know the area north of Seattle and Everett pretty well. That is where my family is from.

So now I garden less and less and produce less of my own food. Sad. I've joined here because I would love to figure out a way to have ducks and still spend three weeks at Christmas and two months in the summer with my mother, who is now the only surviving grandparent. But I know that probably won't be possible for some time.

I think that being a part of BackYard Chickens will probably be the only part of the fantasy that comes true for now. But we do have a wonderful French Brittany trained well to hunt birds, which, before you freak out, means that he points them. One of our best stories about him was from a couple years ago when he was out on Lopez Island with us and he found some nestlings who really shouldn't have been on the ground yet. He pointed them with great intensity until I called him off, saw what he was telling me about, and was able to create a bit of protection for them amongst the driftwood and sand they had fallen into. He then sat back with me at a distance and watched for the parents who returned and began to feed the babies.

He was a very satisfied pup after that. So I am pretty certain that if I were ever lucky enough to have my own ducks - and maybe chickens - that he would be well behaved. He's very smart! And he's handsome, which is why he is my avatar for now.

We also have a foster kitten we kept after providing a home for them and their momma to be restored to health. We thought we might lose two of the four kittens, but they all lived, and found great homes. I had sworn I would not have another cat, but just couldn't let Tumbi go. He is a terror still, even at nearly two years old.

We take both the cat and dog with us in the summer when we go west, while Chakotay the dog says at Christmas with his trainer, and Tumbi once again boards the flight to Seattle with us.

This is a wonderful community. I look forward to continuing to learn from you. If anyone has any brainstorms about how we might achieve both ducks added to the family and our time with Grandma, I'd love to hear it!

Gosh, wish I could help you think of something :( You are doing the right thing tho for now, you can never get lost time with family back.

Hope someone comes along who has some ideas for you. Course, if it was me, I'd pack up my chickens and take them with me if I could manage it and there was a place for them to stay with me. I know thats not an option for some tho and I understand.

Best wishes to you. Hope it all works out :)

Gosh, wish I could help you think of something :( You are doing the right thing tho for now, you can never get lost time with family back.

Hope someone comes along who has some ideas for you. Course, if it was me, I'd pack up my chickens and take them with me if I could manage it and there was a place for them to stay with me. I know thats not an option for some tho and I understand.

Best wishes to you. Hope it all works out :)
Especially when I see some of the Runners in their diapers I think, "Hmmm... maybe I COULD do it." But with the cat already taking up the under seat space it may be unrealistic to think any more of a menagerie would be possible.

Time with family. I know; you are so right. It's so precious, and I really want my daughter to grow up having known her grandpa and grandma, and all the cousins, aunts, uncles and the huge clan that provided all my playmates when I was young.

Howdy from Kansas, blackbrit, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our flock! Good luck to you and your chickens!

Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC
jumpy.gif

I'm not sure on the availability in your area but look into pet sitters. There are people that are willing to do more than look after cats and dogs. That way you can go on vacation & know your animals are cared for by someone you trust. One of your neighbors might even be willing to pet sit. Best of luck.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

It sounds like you already know what the best thing to do is. There will be lots of time for you to have the birds you crave, and in the meantime you can window shop here on BYC

welcome-byc.gif
There will still be chickens for you, years from now . I thought your dog(avatar) might be a black & tan Cocker spaniel.
I'll have to post a photo of him on point - very different conformation, but as you say, something about the ears that dredge up images of Cocker spaniels! They have very different personalities though. Maybe something like the Indian Runner duck - very busy and personable.
wink.png

thanks so much for the warm welcome!

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

It sounds like you already know what the best thing to do is. There will be lots of time for you to have the birds you crave, and in the meantime you can window shop here on BYC
Yes, BYC is fantastic for window shopping, as you say, and for gaining an education about birds. You all are so knowledgeable and committed to your critters. It's very inspiring.

Back
Top Bottom