New member in central Illinois

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mckenzie0810, Jul 15, 2011.

1. mckenzie0810

mckenzie0810 New Egg

Jul 15, 2011
    Hi, I'm a new member! Glad to be a member, it looks like this site will be a valuable resource to me! I haven't had chickens in over fifteen years and I'm so excited to have them again. I used to raise about 200 chickens a year (light brahmans sp?) when I was in high school for a 4-h project and my family would harvest the majority and keep a flock of hens until the next year as layers. My significant other finally caved this spring and built a nice lean-to onto a stand- alone one stall garage and I got my ancient metal nest unit from my sister and I'm in business. I currently have fifteen hens, five are year old layers, probably Rhode island Red crosses, and the rest are eggs I hatched from eggs given to me by a friend - Americanas I believe, possibly some barred rock mix in there too. They should start laying in August or early September. As far as other hobbies - we live on a small farm that's been in the family for several generations. I'm a big flower and veggie gardener, and I also raise and show registered Boer goats. I'm full to brimming with goat information so if anyone has questions or needs help with goat issues feel free to ask me. If I don't know the answer, "I have people." [​IMG] I'm already thinking about finding some replacements for my older hens that were given to me, I'm interested in standard size and thinking about Wyandottes - I admit it, I want eggs, but mostly I want a beautiful, colorful flock of hens to decorate my yard. [​IMG]

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from FL!

Have you considered Orpingtons? They are good layers and are definately eye candy while roaming the yard. I have buff and white right now and want black and creole next. I will admit that they are the dumbest and hungriest chickens I have ever seen but their entertainment value makes it worthwhile. [​IMG]

3. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    [​IMG] Greetings from South Carolina, [​IMG]

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    [​IMG] Glad you joined.

5. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]. Good luck!

6. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    Welcome, from Minnesota.

9. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by