1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member in Colorado, checking in!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bcox243, Mar 12, 2013.

1. bcox243

bcox243 New Egg

Mar 12, 2013
    Canon City, CO
    Hello,

My name is Bart and my wife and I got some chicks recently. We wanted them for egg production and entertainment at our new property that we hope to make a farm. I have a coop that is almost finished and the chicks in a box in the guest bathroom.

The chicks appear to be 3 Leghorns 3 Reds that I bought at a local farm supply as their egg production mix. Then we added one Buttercup of the same hatch date and one unknown also of the same age. We got three silkies the same day but they are younger, smaller and we keep them separate until they get bigger.

I'm sure I will have questions and am eager to learn from the group!

Thanks

Bart

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Bart, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Sounds like you have a great brood of baby chicks! If you haven't done so already, here a two links that may aid you in your poultry journey! Enjoy and have fun!!

The Learning Center is a great general information source on chicken needs and requirements:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

The Baby Chicks forum is question and answer but looking through old threads is a great way to learn:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]silkies don't get very big, they are bantams. They are generally very docile and may get picked on by other breeds. As a rule they make excellent broodies and you can slip other eggs under them rather than use an incubator. Mama hen knows best.

7. bcox243

bcox243 New Egg

Mar 12, 2013
    Canon City, CO
    Thank you all! When I was a kid and young teen we had chickens on my grandfather's farm. I used to make audio tapes of thehen house for a friend of mine who lived in the city but just loved chickens, She played the tapes so loud that her building manager came to her apartment demanding that she move out for violating the No Pets policy. She showed him the tape and he left, shaking his head.

For me it has been decades since I had chickens of my own and this is a fresh start on the beginnings of a farm. I don't do gardening butI CAN do chickens and work from there. This will be a fun project!

Thank you all again for your welcome!

Bart

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by