New Member in Egypt

Farkha Laziza

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 28, 2015
Egypt
Hi everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself here.

I live in Cairo and don't have any chickens at the moment because I live in a small apartment, but we are going to be relocating to my husband's village later this year and my mother-in-law always keeps birds so I will be having to share the responsibility with her for them so I want to learn more about keeping them. This includes chicken, ducks, geese, turkeys and pigeons (would like to see a section for that as they are a very popular food here), usually around maybe 30-40 birds in total, although if I can find a way to add quail to the mix I would because we really like eating quail. We have a large yard where they have the free run plus there are some mud shelters for them to go in at night or to avoid the sun.

All birds will be for slaughter and eating, but I also am interested in eggs because the store bought eggs in the region of the country where we are moving make me sick and I can only eat the home raised ones there.

I actually first heard about this site 6 or 7 years ago because I was in discussion with the owner of backyardchickens.com about doing some technical work on the site as I work in web development but we never settled on any terms so it never happened. But I have kept the site in the back of my mind with the intention of joining when my move got closer so here I am.

I have a PhD in Egyptology and one of my areas of interest is in animals and particularly birds. I've been doing some research on ancient Egyptian methods of dealing with birds as pests and the sacred ibis. My avatar is an ancient Egyptian drawing.

I look forward to getting to know other members of this forum and learning from you.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in caring for the flock.

Good morning and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Nice introduction and interesting avatar. Members on BYC have all sorts of poultry, including pigeons and pheasants. If you haven't already done so, you may like to take a look at the "Other Backyard Poultry" section in the Learning Center. You can find it with this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/other-backyard-poultry-ducks-quail-turkeys-geese-etc

There is also a forum section where everything other than chickens is discussed:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/66/other-backyard-poultry

Nice to have you join us and good luck with your move!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you have joined us.

There is a forum for pigeons and doves under other backyard poultry.

Never met anyone from Egypt, and would love to see pics of the flock, mud huts and learn more about managing poultry there.

Wishing you good luck with your upcoming move.

Back
Top Bottom